Nerd Style Self Portrait

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let’s see…you’ve got a badass new car and you want to snap pictures of yourself driving it. What to do, what to do? I got it…put a huge pole on the front of your car with a camera attached! How do I know a nerd invented this? Easy, normal people use friends instead of mechanical devices to take pictures of us in our cars.

Couldn't do that around my area.. the car is like a bucking bronco going over potholes. It would rip the camera right off. :p

lol, I've been taking pics of myself while on the bike. My arm serves as the requisite pole...

i wanna see the video of the new car running over the new $2000 camera :D

I hope the guy moved the car to where all that trash isn't apparent. Looks like a neighborhood dump site back there.

I guess he doesn't have any friends to hold the camera.

Bah! The point of this rig isn't to take self-portraits without a friend. It's so you can take rolling shots, where the body of the car is in sharply in focus, but the background, wheels, rims, etc are all blurred. It's called a rolling shot. This is something you CANNOT achieve by a friend taking a picture due to camera shake!

:p

If the friend were in a vehicle traveling at about the same speed it might work. I've snagged some pretty decent rolling shots of some friends before, but the % that work out well isn't too high, at least for me.

NOT Kyle's caddy....but the first thing I thought if when I saw it was "KYLE!"..then the nerdy-ness of the camera set up caught my attention so I posted it ;)

If the friend were in a vehicle traveling at about the same speed it might work. I've snagged some pretty decent rolling shots of some friends before, but the % that work out well isn't too high, at least for me.

If you both were in cars, on a free two lane road, with a window clamp tripod and were going the same speed, yes it could work. But that takes way to much effort and includes too many variables! I'd rather make a rig myself...

That would never look as good as a true rolling shot. And you can't even get the sick angles as you could with the boom.

that would work well until you get to a hill. uphill would destroy the camera right away and downhill would destroy it at the bottom of the hill

I can see him forgetting about the length of the pole coming up to a stoplight, bringing the nose of his car to the white line.. while cross traffic rips the camera right off the pole

lol, I've been taking pics of myself while on the bike. My arm serves as the requisite pole...

my buddy does the same thing while we're on rides

main1.jpg

shameless plug: www.precisionradiance.com

this device is not for self-portraits - it's for "rolling shots", and works quite well. ;)

that would work well until you get to a hill. uphill would destroy the camera right away and downhill would destroy it at the bottom of the hill

You don't go driving around with the rig attached! Get on location, attach rig, and drive. You can go 5mph and get the desired results. Hell, some people even put the car in neutral, with someone in the driver seat, and others PUSH the car. It'd be rare to have a rig shot going over 15mph.

Pretty cool. Camera mounts like these have been used in car commercials for a few years now, except that they are built out of lightweight aluminum or carbon fiber and are generally used for even further extensions. It is how they get those fixed camera angles where the car remains in exactly the same position in the frame while the background is the only thing moving.

That sort of thing also requires painting out the rig frame by frame in post-production since it is also seen in the shot, but car ads have massive budgets so that sort of things isn't really a problem.

nah, I live in Cambridge MA, but that pic was taken somewhere in KY I think. Over the summer I rode from south FL to Denver for an internship then back to FL via the Black Hills, KY/TN/NC (Tail of the Dragon). 9k miles in 6 weeks, good times.

here's one I took of myself while riding up Pikes Peak.

Yeah sorry, I have to call shenanagans on this one as well. If you do a little research on car photography this is the "correct" way to do stable rolling shots. Not geeky at all, very professional and you have to be willing to do some work to get it set up right. The mount has to be rock solid to work well.

Let’s see…you’ve got a badass new car and you want to snap pictures of yourself driving it. What to do, what to do? I got it…put a huge pole on the front of your car with a camera attached! How do I know a nerd invented this? Easy, normal people use friends instead of mechanical devices to take pictures of us in our cars.
nice way to destroy your camera, but the picture looks funny :D

Have fun dude! Its a great road, try to hit it when there's little traffic and even fewer cops. then go look for your pic on killboy.

Back