NeoHE 550 incompatible with DFI NF4?

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
10,448
I just got this PSU from ZZF. It works just fine with my old testbed, a P4 1.7. When I hook it up to my DFI NF4 Ultra-D, the board only boots one out of four times, if I'm lucky. The failed boots do either of two things- the LEDs all flicker and then turn off, or it stays stuck in the initial, four-light phase. I've done everything:
1) Taken out of case
2) Put back in case
3) Tested video in every slot
4) Taken out video completely
5) Tested board on paper on floor, no case
6) Reseated plugs, RAM, etc.

The only thing that's changed in my setup was my PSU, which used to be a ModStream 520W. It worked beautifully then, and I had it running out of a case- I didn't even move it when I swapped supplies! I don't have a backup to test, but the board is still good- it boots one out of four times, and nothing moved when I unhooked my old power supply and hooked up the Antec.

I seriously think the NeoHE is incompatible with DFI boards now, as well as the documented dislike for Asus. Can anyone else chime in?
 
no experience with the DFI boards, but I do have plenty of experience with this really bad PSU. If you have 2 graphics cards in make sure they are on opposite sides of the modular plugs. Also make sure that you have the end that says PCIE plugged into the GPU and NOT into the PSU (spent 4 hours trying to figure out why mine wouldn't boot) apparently they are polarized for some reason. If your old PSU works, try to upgrade to the newest BIOS. If none of that works, create a trouble ticket or return it if you can. I highly recommended the return option if it is available. Even with a restocking fee it isn't worth the headaches it will cause. If you create a trouble ticket for RMA, make sure you tell them that you did all of the above things or 2 days later you will get an e-mail response asking if you updated the BIOS. Good luck...hopefully just a bad unit and not a bad series...it does look mighty pleasing on paper, but then again so did the GTX512MB =)
 
I would recommend the TruePower II 550 watt over the NeoHE. More cheaper, and mine works fine for me.
 
JJU357 said:
If you have 2 graphics cards in make sure they are on opposite sides of the modular plugs.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article273-page2.html
Ice Czar said:
I wanted something quiet on a budget, and I figured the HE was getting such great reviews that I'd give it a shot- it is an Antec, after all!

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think this series has fan connectors. I wouldn't use them anyway- motherboard control only for me.
 
while I havent had experience with that board
I read it to say not to use the mobo fan headers
 
Oh, that's not the issue. On my OCZ it worked fine. I misunderstood you, and thought you meant the PSU's fan headers.
 
I had the same problem when I bought antec neo he 550. DFI recommends to get OCZ Powerstream PSU for their NF4 mobos. So I got it, and man, its voltages are so close to what they should be. 12V=11.9-11.96
 
Wow...those are some unfortunate stories. I'll be getting the DFI Expert here soon and know how finicky they can be with certain components. What about the Enermax liberty series? I'm currently considering one of those and the pc power and cooling series...
 
Jodiuh said:
Wow...those are some unfortunate stories. I'll be getting the DFI Expert here soon and know how finicky they can be with certain components. What about the Enermax liberty series? I'm currently considering one of those and the pc power and cooling series...
The Enermax Liberty 500W & 620W are fine, however the OCZ PowerStream 520W is still our #1 recommendation. ;)
 
I really like the fact that the ocz has 2 fans with a longer base. It would def work well in an 810. Are all the lights out of the psu in the powerstream sli series blue now? I hate to have bling, but it's not so bad if it's :eek: :eek:
 
No, I don't work for DFI, however I'm a mod on DFI-Street & wrote their PSU & HS guides.

The Opteron is not "offiicialy" supported, however with the proper BIOS all is well, see DFI-Street for details.

Looks very good to me.
Dave ;)
 
Thanks bro, I just got my Stacker 810 today and will be def picking up the OCZ 520 now. I love the fact that it's got 2 fans and remains quiet. See ya on the street ;-)
 
Back
Top