Neogaf imploding over allegations of sexual misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drexion

[H]ard|Gawd
This weekend NeoGAF had a lot of downtime, related to allegations of sexual misconduct regarding it's owner, resulting in moderators mass resigning from the site leaving it in chaos.
18fsrp.jpg

NeoGAF is (or was) the most influential gaming forum on the net. Everyone from game developers to industry insiders to marketing shills used the forum to spread information usually related to the gaming industry. Quite a few big name publishers had staff who had direct contact with influential members there, for purposes anywhere from information sharing, marketing, (or allegedly bribery and astroturfing).

While NeoGAF was an excellent place for information and news related to the gaming industry, in recent years however it began to get more and more politicized, to the point where censorship and mass bannings were a regular event. Anyone not agreeing with the 'SJW' line of thinking tended to be ostracized from the community. I never had an account there but used to read that forum a lot, and while it was great for gaming news it got more and more annoying in recent years the way the SJW nonsense seeped into every part of the site, no matter if its gaming, movies, off topic, whatever - there were always some people in there posting SJW politics, and moderators banning anyone who disagreed with them.

The site has had a long history of controversy, but it seems recent allegations broke the camel's back. From wikipedia "In 2017, following a sexual harassment scandal involving Tyler Malka, most of its moderation staff resigned. Notably, many prominent users posted "suicide threads" wherein they demanded to be banned from the forum. After news of the scandal spread widely, many of its users fled to Reddit and 4chan's /v/ board. [5] As of Oct. 21 2017, 8 moderators and 1 administrator has resigned/been banned."

NeoGaf Mods Resign Amid Claims Of Sexual Misconduct Committed By Owner
2n9sui.jpg

"NeoGaf owner Tyler Malka has a sordid history of being a sexual harasser. These claims were oftentimes buried or squashed by the moderators on the popular gaming forum in order to protect Malka. Well, additional claims of sexual misconduct have surfaced." (full article)

More articles:
USGamer: Video Game Forum NeoGAF Goes Dark After Sexual Assault Allegations Against Site Owner [Update]
AttackOfTheFanboy: NeoGAF Currently Imploding Amid Accusations of Sexual Harassment by Owner
Comicbook.com: Gaming Forum NeoGAF Imploding as Owner Faces Accusations of Sexual Harrassment (Again)

More information on some of the shady stuff that went on behind the scenes can be found in this article on Nick Monroe's 5 part article NeoGAF's Shadows, encyclopediadramatica's entry on it's owner, and the twitter hashtag.

Anyone familiar with the history of NeoGAF and some of it's admins/moderators will find some of this news quite ironic. But that's a long story to get into. Even if that forum does survive this incident, some serious damage has been done, and some of the articles on this state that they expect other gaming communities to see a surge in their userbase from people migrating away from the site.

Hopefully they don't come back after they die off, because I have a feeling it will be even worse than it was. Unfortunately it had to happen this way with the CEO making unwanted advances on ladies/possible sexual assault. I used to like NeoGAF, but over the years they became too political for a gaming forum and was overrun by SJW's. I was banned for disagreeing with someone there about 7-8 years ago, never bothered returning since I only had about 10 posts, I would check there occasionally when a new game would come out to see what people are saying because the forum moved so quickly, but that's about it.

Reactions: M76
like this
Even though I was fairly active there in the gaming section, The Gaming OT threads were great, the high res pc screenshot thread was always great for a browse, I avoided Off-Topic like the plague (because that's what it was) with a few exceptions, like the thread about the recent Star Wars trailer.

Honestly I won't be sad if it doesn't come back.

After all, I had been banned several times for posting opinions of views that didn't conform to the ultra-leftist social justice liberal hivemind. It's not a huge loss as far as I'm concerned.

I was banned for saying that a character in a game looked like an ape, and they said that was a racist comment grounds for immediate permban. I don't know how can you be racist against a fictional character from a fictional species set in a fictional universe. I never wanted to go back anyway. Mob mentality was rampant there. You happen to disagree with the majority on sg? They didn't try to convince you with arguments, they banded together and tried to ridicule you while congratulating each other on how swell guys they are for agreeing on hating you for having a different opinion about a game that wasn't even released yet. In the end I was proven right but even if I was wrong their behaviour would've been unacceptable. So I took my banning as relief that I don't have to deal with that vile community any longer.

My great grandmother on my father's side used to have a saying: The more humble you act in front of the public, the more nefarious you are when you think you can get away with it.
I think that decribes neogaf perfecly, a bunch of virtue signalling sjws.

So I hope it stays dead, and it's grave is paved over.

If this was really just a post about the owner of Neogaf being accused of sexual harassment, why all the comments about "SJW nonsense?" You just make it all sound like some sort of political agenda bullshit from the other side of the fence (4chan, Reddit's various popular right wing forums, etc.)

I'm obviously not defending this guy if he's a creeper, nor do I have a fucking clue if he is or isn't. That's just how this shit sounds to me.

Aaaaand...yet another example of a male feminist. Poor Sargon will never be able to finish his video at this rate.

Meh... Give it a few months when publishers have no where to go. They will be back.

My only concern now is that at least I knew where they would all be, and could avoid it.

Now they're spread to the wind and will wind up on all the other forums I visit.

This is actually a bit of a shame because neogaf served as a containment board more then anything else, maybe all the snowflakes will melt outside their hugbox before they can ruin other websites.

If this was really just a post about the owner of Neogaf being accused of sexual harassment, why all the comments about "SJW nonsense?" You just make it all sound like some sort of political agenda bullshit from the other side of the fence (4chan, Reddit's various popular right wing forums, etc.)

I'm obviously not defending this guy if he's a creeper, nor do I have a fucking clue if he is or isn't. That's just how this shit sounds to me.
Because the site was full of sjw nonsense, double standards and virtue signalling, so we're happy to see it go whatever the reason.

Because the site was full of sjw nonsense, double standards and virtue signalling, so we're happy to see it go.

If you want the site to implode because its political views aren't aligned with your own, fine, just say so. Don't post some shit about the owner being a sex weirdo just to achieve that end (again.. not saying that is or isn't the truth, I have no fucking clue) just be honest and up front about your reasons. And I know you didn't make the topic, Drexion did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back