Neighbors need WiFi, Trying to use 2 Routers, Help Help

TheGeekFreek

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I just signed up for 20D/2U speed thru Charter.. My next door neighbor wants to leach off of me cause the free internet in the complex is almost impossible to stay connected on.. Currently hes been linking up to my WRT330N no problem.. Its current running Mixed G/N.. But a friend of mine a couple of apartments down would also like to leach.. I just bought a DGL-4500 and 2x USB Dual band Wifi Cards..

I need the 5ghz band to reach to my friends apartment, so she needs one of the USB cards.. My computer is currently using the other Dual-Band USB card.. I have another Single band wireless N card Im gonna try..

I was not aware untill I bought the new router that it would only do 2.4 OR 5ghz, not both at once, nor will it do mixed modes.. Is it possible to have my New router connected to the modem and have my old router connected to my new one??

Im no networking Guru by any means but I do know my way around my routers for the most part.. Is there any way to get around this or do I just need to tell everyone to buy a Dualband Wireless N card.. (But then my Xbox wont connect :-( )

You should be able to run both routers at once with the right configuring.

As far as I can see it, Ive got 2 options..

I can get a switch and run the routers to the switch.. Or I can Use one router hooked up to the other figure out all the BS behind manually routing so I can have a 5ghz Wireless N and a 2.4ghz G/N connection..

Pretty open to suggestion and configuration help right about now

well, (when) it works, we are splitting the cost 3 ways.. the next door guy only checks his email like once every 2-3 days and plays the Wii Occasionally, and my friend needs it for logging into her sling box, but she works while im asleep.. I figure if I can have 20mpbs for 20$/mo, ill do it..

But as an update, I set my new router back to 2.4 ghz and took the new wifi card over to her place and hooked it up and it wont even pick up the signal, but it picks it up on 3 bars with 5ghz which is sufficient..

So it seems my only option is to run both routers at once..
So Easius, any help you could provide on configuring them correctly?

Pick one and continue to use it as your router. Lets says this router's IP address is 192.168.10.1. Then get into the other router and change it's LAN IP address to 192.168.10.2. Disable DHCP on this router and, if you can, set a default route to the other router. Then plug one of the LAN ports on that router into a LAN port on the other router. You'll probably want to set the SSIDs on each router to be slightly different so you know which band is on which SSID.

Im kinda floored...
I just plugged the old router into a port on the new Router and it got up and running on its own.. I have both a 2.4 and a 5ghz card plugged into my computer, disabled one and tested the other, then switched.. Im getting internet with both.. so I logged into my new router and switched it over to 5ghz only and retested the connections and they both worked.. Im freggin amazed..

I guess ill know tomorrow when they come to relay the cables in my apartment wether it all works like I want it to.... Right now im getting between 6 and 13mbps down, so they are gonna come fix whatever the issue is tomorrow.. But as of right now the connections are both working, w/ internet.. Now just gotta setup sharing..

Hey lil brother... did you ever get it working for all the neighbors? Ive been over there a bunch and forgot to ask you how it went! Kinda curious to see how it ended up!

Back