Nehalem Bloomfield Pricing

Cabn12

Limp Gawd
Has anybody seen pricing for the Nehalem Bloomfield coming in late 08? I'm putting money aside this summer and want an idea what I'll need. Already budgeting for a new board and memory.

I have an EVGA 650i and an Q6600 and 4GB of DDR2 800. Board will be worthless, thinking of screwing it to my wall for geek art.

The DDR2 will likely be worthless, too. ;)

I'm guessing the pricing will be like all new CPUs. $300-ish low-end, $1000 high-end.

You probably won't see the non-high end parts until Q1/Q2 2009 so you have about a year to save up unless you're going high end. I'll probably wait till this time next year to build again.

You probably won't see the non-high end parts until Q1/Q2 2009 so you have about a year to save up unless you're going high end. I'll probably wait till this time next year to build again.

Yeah, only the EE CPUs will come out this year, and it will be at least a couple months after that before we get the full line-up. I'm certainly not about to shell out 1K+ for a new CPU (plus board plus DDR3, etc.)

Yeah, you're better start save your hard earned cash for a new MOBO as well. Nahalem is totaly different socket, hope you're aware of this.
So don't buy any new board from now until Nahalem released, even the upcoming P45 board, if you're think of upgrading to Nahalem.

Yeah, you're better start save your hard earned cash for a new MOBO as well. Nahalem is totaly different socket, hope you're aware of this.
So don't buy any new board from now until Nahalem released, even the upcoming P45 board, if you're think of upgrading to Nahalem.
That's the first thing he said....
... Board will be worthless, thinking of screwing it to my wall for geek art.

yea i just picked up a ps3 to keep me occupied till then because tbh its worthless upgrading now becaus ddr2 and socket 775 will be dead by the end of the year plus the only real reason i want to ditch my p4 single 3.2ghz pc is to play the latest games but only AOC attracts me atm. this time next year im going nehalem hopefuly. plenty of time to save up the pennies my friend. PLENTY of time to build a top notch system.

yea i just picked up a ps3 to keep me occupied till then because tbh its worthless upgrading now becaus ddr2 and socket 775 will be dead by the end of the year plus the only real reason i want to ditch my p4 single 3.2ghz pc is to play the latest games but only AOC attracts me atm. this time next year im going nehalem hopefuly. plenty of time to save up the pennies my friend. PLENTY of time to build a top notch system.

Considering that mainstream Nehalem is almost a year away, I don't see how building a system now is in any way "worthless". Plus, if you build right when it comes out you'll have to deal with higher prices and less availability. Current CPUs are way more than enough to power just about anything you can throw at it and it's insane to think ddr2 and 775 will instantly "die" when nehalem is released. Look at how many people are still buy the Q6600 now that 45nm is out! Same thing will happen to Penryn when Nehalem is here. People will still buy it as a "budget" alternative.

I agree. Waiting for Nehalem is really about a year away, unless you want to be the first person to spend $1000+ on a CPU and $300 on a motherboard.

Robert

yea thats true but after nehalem comes out is tehre gunna be new 775 mobo's and cpu's for it? i dont think they will. one of the reasons why i want a nelahem system is so that i can upgrade the parts on it more to future proof my nelahem system to last me another 3-4 years.

like i said, the only reason i want to upgrade is to play the latest games. i do feel that my current pc is on its last legs because it can barely run the latest firefox 3 browser with more then 2 tabs and i am begining to struggle playing .mkv HD files on my pc too which is a MUST for me keeps stutering in fully fledged hd movies but on tv shows it seems fine.

nehalem will provide me headroom for abit of future proofing and by the time it comes out, far cry2, battlefield 3 and sims 3 should be out by then.

And yes im gunna waita solid year before dropping my money on a nehalem

yea thats true but after nehalem comes out is tehre gunna be new 775 mobo's and cpu's for it? i dont think they will. one of the reasons why i want a nelahem system is so that i can upgrade the parts on it more to future proof my nelahem system to last me another 3-4 years.

like i said, the only reason i want to upgrade is to play the latest games. i do feel that my current pc is on its last legs because it can barely run the latest firefox 3 browser with more then 2 tabs and i am begining to struggle playing .mkv HD files on my pc too which is a MUST for me keeps stutering in fully fledged hd movies but on tv shows it seems fine.

nehalem will provide me headroom for abit of future proofing and by the time it comes out, far cry2, battlefield 3 and sims 3 should be out by then.

And yes im gunna waita solid year before dropping my money on a nehalem

Yes, there will be new 775 motherboards and cpus for a while after Nehalem comes out. These things just don't dissapear. Hell, you can still buy a freaking P4 if you want. Sure they aren't going to be dumping R&D money into 775, but lots of parts will be available for quite a while after release.

There is no reason that a PC now won't last for 3-4 years either. I can understand why someone would wait for Nehalem, but a couple months ago I upgraded from my old P4 rig finally and haven't looked back since. Maybe for you it makes sense to wait, but for the vast majority of people I don't think it does.

No one should be thinking that the first Nehalem based motherboard (and chipset) will be the one they want for 2-3 years. It's basically version 1.0.

Robert

I would also wait for the benchmarks too. I believe that even though the memory controller will be on-die and use DDR3 exclusively, I would want to see how much performance gain we'll actually get.

Gotta love that cycle people get themselves into

I'm going to wait for the newest hardware to come out so I have the latest and greatest
Oh wow thats expensive b/c its so new - I'll wait a bit for prices to come down
But wait there is this new thing on the horizon I might as well wait for that now

aaaand repeat

Just buy what you can afford if it will provide you with the upgrade you are looking for

That cycle is damn hard to get out of, even if you know you are in it. I find it a great way stall hardware upgrades.

I just saw a review that compared the Q6600 with the Q9300. Even though the Q9300 has 2Mb less of L2 Cache it still beat the Q6600 in some tests by 14 percent. Not really worth upgrading now for marginal gains, however the Q9300 is supposed to OC better than the Q6600 G0. Even though I think I'm gonna wait for the Nehalem. I never worry about future proofing, never did. I do want the most bang for my buck. That’s why before the Core 2 came out I was strictly an AMD guy. The Nehalem will have a new architecture. On board memory controller, DDR3 and hyper threading. I would think for $300-400 it should beat my current processor by at least 30-50%... I hope.

the Q9300 is supposed to OC better than the Q6600 G0.

I don't think so; it has a significantly lower multiplier, so you're much more likely to be FSB limited. That said, the Q9300 overclocked (albeit possibly at a slightly lower frequency) is usually equal to or slightly beats an overclocked Q6600.

But, if your current system is fine for the next year, then wait for Nehalem, certainly; the most sensible thing is to upgrade when your current system is too slow, rather than upgrading purely because there's something new out there - otherwise, especially with CPUs, you're paying for power you're not using. The Q6600 is a good chip, unless you're doing one of the few tasks that needs all the CPU power it can get, it should certainly be good until Nehalem, if not longer (I'm not planning on getting Nehalem myself).

Plan on saving $1000-1200 for the CPU, $250-300 for the motherboard, then $200-300++ on ram depending on how much you want. 3Gb or 6Gb Isn't it going to be tri-channel... ie: you'll need 3 sticks of ram (3x1Gb or 3x2Gb) That could cost some big bucks if you want GOOD ddr3!!

Plan on saving $1000-1200 for the CPU, $250-300 for the motherboard, then $200-300++ on ram depending on how much you want. 3Gb or 6Gb Isn't it going to be tri-channel... ie: you'll need 3 sticks of ram (3x1Gb or 3x2Gb) That could cost some big bucks if you want GOOD ddr3!!

I think the $1000 parts will be the first release CPUs. Going on past experience the sub $500 CPUs will follow a few months after. I'd never pay $1000 for a CPU. I'll wait a few months, pay a third of the price of the initial release Nehalem and over clock it so it's at the same clock as the $1000 CPU. Thats my plan. I just hope I don't have to wait till next May for that to happen. I was hoping some one had seen something from Intel on when they plan to release Nehalem CPUs and at what frequencies and price point.

Back