Needs some help on a good / cheap Gigabit Switch

ProfessorKaos64

[H]ard|Gawd
Can you guys suggest me the best all around cheap/decent quality gigabit switch? I've always bought linksys products, but guys on newegg seem to favor D-Link which I have always loathed.

halp

There are some listed in the Router Recommendations sticky --- how many ports, what features are you looking for, etc?

8 ports, ability to manage would be nice, but not necessary. Low power and heat are wishful, but not needed either. Sorry I didnt hit the thread sticky

I just bought a 5 port Trendnet GREEN switch and its been great. Maxing out my connection at 60MB/s which is only limited by my drives.

Those on the sticky are a bit pricey for a home router. I was looking at that Trendnet one in CPU magizine. Is it bad that it doesnt support Jumbo Frames? I've done wireshark sifting in Cisco classes a few years back, but what are Jumbo Frames?

I second Trendnet, I've been using an 8 port Trendnet gigabit switch. Since hooking it up about 6 months ago I haven't had a single problem. Got it for $15 after rebate on Newegg.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, any one else back this up, or any more suggestions, I appreciate it guys! :D

Have ya checked dell??? Their web-managed series... we've been buying netgear ever since dell changed their switches over a few years ago, not realizing their web-managed switches come "unmanaged" from the factory, and the prices are cheaper then netgear switches.

I like netgear for lifetime warranty... but for my new office i might go with dell switches as we need a lot of them and theres a big savings there.

Jumbo Frames support is a nice-to-have for "prosumers" who want or need to play with them but are not necessary for the other 90% of the consumer base.

Every piece of data sent over a network is broken into packets, every packet has a frame size associated with it; this frame size is called a lot of things but one that's usually recognizable is MTU -- 'jumbo frames' refers to any MTU size higher than the standard 1500. The concept is that if you increase the MTU to say 9000, fewer packets need to be sent to express the same amount of data therefore alleviating some stress on your processor and allowing networks to perform better. At least, that's the theory. Improperly used, jumbo frames can cause performance degradation and bring a network to its knees.Therefore use of jumbo frames are usually reserved for storage-centric networks or for links between switches and routers exclusively where they have been shown most effective.

For five and eight porters I whole-heartedly recommend the Netgear ProSafe metal-box models.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSa...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264992411&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back