Needing a graphics board to replace TI4200

Joined
Oct 26, 2003
Messages
4,067
I've got a 9700 pro in my main rig, and a ti4200 in the second system. I'm thinking about picking up a 9800 pro for my main rig, and putting the 9700 in the second system. I saw this Powercolor 9800SE instead, and the first 5 ot 6 reviews I read had success with the softmod. It's only $156, much more in my price range. Would this be a good choice? If the mod doesn't work, it will hopefully be better than the TI4200.

Edit: I saw a Powercolor 9800 non-pro for $172...any ideas if this will flash up to a pro? At the least it would perform in the ballpark of my 9700, and would probably have a little more headroom.
 
Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
I've got a 9700 pro in my main rig, and a ti4200 in the second system. I'm thinking about picking up a 9800 pro for my main rig, and putting the 9700 in the second system. I saw this Powercolor 9800SE instead, and the first 5 ot 6 reviews I read had success with the softmod. It's only $156, much more in my price range. Would this be a good choice? If the mod doesn't work, it will hopefully be better than the TI4200.

wait and save the extra for the sapphire 9800pro from newegg, $40 extra is worth it.
 
yeah wait till you actually got enough for the 9800 pro and whats wrong with your 9700 pro seems like its fast enough. :cool:
 
Originally posted by zoltan
yeah wait till you actually got enough for the 9800 pro and whats wrong with your 9700 pro seems like its fast enough. :cool:

The worse of the 9700/9800 will be replacing a TI4200. The 9700 is fast enough for me, but my dad is disappointed with the TI4200, and wants a 9700 or better for that system.
 
Don't you dare buy a 9800SE.....'cus you wouldnt be giving your dad more then a 9600Pro in terms of performance. Hell, the 9600Pro/XT actually outperform the 9800SE at stock speeds so I'd honestly hang tight and get the 9800Pro for the extra $60 or so.....it's EASILY worth the extra cash.
 
Back
Top