Need your opinions!

Link

Gawd
My best friend doesn't want to listen to me. He already has an HD 5870 card and he wants to spend over $500 to buy a GTX 480. I've been telling him numerous times that it's not worth it. I've told him if he really want to buy another card, then get another HD 5870 so that he can CF. I think going CF is better than getting a new GTX 480. What do you think, guys?

Tell him to spend that money on two more monitors so he can eyefinity it up.

Yes 5870 crossfire does beat a single 480, but getting more monitors would be a more appealing upgrade to me than just changing out a video card.

you're friend needs more problems to worry about than just upgrading to the newest card.

Depends why he want to go green.

Does he want 3D Vision? Does he want CUDA processing power for anything in particular? Does he want PhysX support?

I'd definitely go grab a few extra monitors for eyefinity before switching to a 480, but I have to say the 480 is a better performer than the 5870.

He just wants to play with new techs. That's all. Maybe I should just encourage him to get a new GTX 480 so that I can borrow his HD 5870. ;p

The difference in speed between a 480 and 5870 is pretty small, it's an insane upgrade for the price. In terms of price to benefit he'd be better off droping that cash on a SSD or somethign that will give him a significant improvement to his system.

Tell him to keep the money and buy actual games (just not metro2033 :p).

The difference in speed between a 480 and 5870 is pretty small, it's an insane upgrade for the price. In terms of price to benefit he'd be better off droping that cash on a SSD or somethign that will give him a significant improvement to his system.

Ooooo, very true.

5870 + SSD > GTX 480

Just make sure he only buys an SSD that has been praised by Anand.

Back