need your opinion on laptop resolution 1366x768

venm11

2[H]4U
How good is 1366x768 (WXGA) on a 15.6" display these days? These seems to be really popular with business notebooks.

With modern pixel tuning tricks (AA + subpixel tweaking), is this acceptable? The last time I had a low resolution display like this, I absolutely hated it; it was difficult to look at large tables, code, graphics work, etc. My current laptop uses 1680x1050 which is perfect - without these pixel-tuning tricks.

Right now I'm trying to buy a refurb business notebook and it seems like most come with this resolution, and if you demand higher, your choices are limited and/or expensive.

i have had the "pleasure" oh having a company NB with this display.

it's completely AWFUL and i wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

i have a display like that on my dell 15r cheapo laptop. it SUCKS.

Not only the resolution part - but the fact that any display that uses that in a "full size" notebook, you know the quality is going to be shit. the quality is so crappy that you turn your head up or down even 1/2 a degree, the color start getting funky on edges.

Luckily it's my "emergency" computer and not really used but a few times a year.

I have an HP with one right now
The Screen SUCKS for everything, absolutely everything. Then again if i had my way i'd have a screen that was 1920 x 1280, so maybie i'm biased

Run AWAY! Don't do it! It's absolutely terrible and may lead to psychotic behavior, gratuitous violence or both.

Go big or go home... lol don't settle for cheap stuff... you'll regret it in the end...

imo it depends on what you want to do with it. Ive no issues with 1366x768 what so ever. Be it gaming, blender3d, movies, browsing

Resolution is OK for casual use, but like collegeboy69us I'd be concerned with how cheap the display is in other ways

I have a thinkpad x220 with an IPS screen at that resolution. The screen quality is decent, but even with decent viewing angles, the resolution is limited and limiting. At the time, there weren't other IPS options on the market. I would not buy a laptop with that resolution today.

Yeah, but the ThinkPad X220 is 12.5", not 15.6"

x768 on 15.6" is just awful. The lowest I ever used was x900 and that's on the 14.1" ThinkPad T61 I'm on now. And 900 isn't much...

Especially if you're coming from x1050 there aren't really any good choices. Going down to 1600x900 is bad and going up to 1920x1080 will get you much smaller pixels.

Vertically (in the useful direction for serious work) you'll loose anyway. Unfortunately...

Back