Need your opinion (advanced modders need apply)

How hard could it be to make a seperate forum, and then if it doesn't work correctly, simply merge it with the main forum..

I dunno how hard it would be to add or subtract a forum. I figure giving it a shot would be good but I'm guessing the only way to show we need one is to have demand for it.

and Flecom.........I think 7 stars is a good number :D that or use it as an announcement in big size 7 letters :D

Not so much an obtrusive animated gif, but something like the "NO NUDITY" on Genmay.com's Babe forum.

Maybe:

READ THE F.A.Q. (your question may likely have been answered already.)

or

Simple Questions Answered in [H]ERE.

deffinately need to make it so that we dont have all these " what case should i buy" or "where can i find this" or "is htis a good case" this is "case modding" and those questions have nothing to do with modding....thats fine but when i want to mod i used to love hardforums, and its getting tricky to find info out here, im starting to use bit-tech :-/ keep hardforum alive, give us an advanced modders section!!!

Im gonna go ahead and ressurect this year old thread, guess I missed it the first time around. Creating an advanced modding forum would be a good idea, but with so many people thinking it would alienate them maybe [H] just isnt the place for it, A new forum somewhere else might just be the answer with a full disclaimer telling newbies that if they have questions they can be asked elsewhere (with links to this forum\bit-tech\e.t.c.) Between the dozen or so "advanced modder's" here Im sure one of you wouldn't mind hosting a site. I may be able to help with the serving aspect of the situation.

Thanks for digging this up, I would have to add my thoughts.

Just a few minutes ago, I read a post in "Case Modding" about a guys new case. It was a premod, and someone told him to not post a pre-mod in the case modding section. Makes sense, but as the original poster pointed out, "there is not 'pre-mod' forum". Then, as I continued reading, I found QTips guide to painting, which provided some great information about "higher end" (read: non shaker can) painting. I really appreciated the good info, and as I read it, I thought "I wish there were a lot more threads like this one..." You can find some very good information in the Case Modding forum, except it is being overrun with "what case should I get?" threads that have no where else to go. I find that I spend more time in the worklogs section simply because there is a lot more quality information in there.

So after these observations and thoughts, I found this thread. I read through the posts, and I realised that it was exactly what I was thinking about. I think that having a "Advanced Modding" section would definitely help. I don't see it as much as an elitist section, as a way of organizing the information available. Just as I go to the Worklogs to see threads describing in depth a persons mod, I would go to the Advanced Modding section to find more specific and higher quality information about mods. I think that it would benefit beginning modders as well, simply because it would have such a high concentration of useful information. You don't need to be an advanced modder to gain useful tips from other advanced modders. I sometimes check out the "Extreme Cooling" section of the overclocking forum just to read what they are doing. I don't plan on building a cascade cooler, but I enjoy it anyways.

Its not like he is suggesting that the general modding forum will be done away with, it will still be there for basic questions. We aren't keeping people from asking simple questions, thats what the general "Case Modding" forum is and will be. The Advanced Modding section will just add organization to the threads, and make it easier to find quality information and ideas.

Wow, I've said enough. Amen. :D

You know what is also helpful at finding a high concentration of useful information? The search feature.

You know what is also helpful at finding a high concentration of useful information? The search feature.
Yes, it does. So lets get rid of any organization. Hell, we don't need a subforum for Case Modding, or Overclocking, or Guns n Knives, lets just throw it into one big forum. Then we can use our handy dandy seach bar, and the world will be at our fingertips. Why didn't anyone think of this before? :rolleyes:

I like the idea but maybe make it a how to thread where you can only make a thread on how to do something. and the posts can only further the how to or ask a question on that particular diy. Any comments on it would be discarded.

back from the dead! lol I gave up trying to gain support for this.

Qtip42 said:
back from the dead! lol I gave up trying to gain support for this.
like I said don't count on any support to have another section placed here, a better idea would be to have an advanced modding forum completely seperate from [H] with a nice big disclaimer saying something along the lines, of "General how-to question and information can be found at [H], bit-tech, gruntville, e.t.c."

I'm for it. Have some stickies at the top, too. Stickied items should include:

Painting
Woodworking
Metalworking
Electronics
Adhesives

...and whatever else deemed necessary/useful.

-SEAL

I think an advanced modding forum would be a good idea, too. Personally, I do "standard" mods, and some things you've never seen before with lab glassware and watercooling, and I'd like a place where I can post said stuff without it being smotherd by "OMGLOOKATMYCOOLCASEIPUTINLIGHTS".

An "advanced" forum wouldn't stop noobs from posting in your threads...

Exactly, it would just be for organization. A noob could go and post in the Extreme Cooling section of overclocking, but in general they don't. They realise its a higher level discussion in there, so they read, and don't post in it. Anyways, if you did have some noob post his "r0XX0rZZ pR3-m0d" in the Advanced Mod section, just have a moderator move it. Isn't that the kind of thing they do already in other sections of the forum? I guess I'm just not seeing how this subforum would be any more revolutionary than the other subforums such Worklogs or Extreme Cooling...

Back