Need XP Home CD ASAP, have license

DragonNOA1

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got a call from a client who needs XP Home reinstalled but doesn't have the CD. Has the license but no CD's at all. Where could I get a XP Home CD in the next day without buying it? Everyone I know has Pro. Would BB or CC let me borrow a copy? I have no idea except maybe trying p2p but who wants to try that with a business client! yikes. LMK, thanks!

Well if they have an OEM version, you couldn't use another anyway; it would have to be a retail version. FTP'ing/P2P'ing you a copy of XP would be illeagle. You might try calling Microsoft if it's retail, or the OEM if it's from a builder, and see if they'll offer a replacement disk w/an overnight shipping option, but other than that I don't think you have a chance.

Just out of curiosity, why do they need it reinstalled, maybe there's another option.

You could always buy a copy and then resell it after using the disk. No retail stores will let you 'borrow' a copy - most have policies against returning opened copies of any software.

As mentioned above - if your client has an oem license, you'll need to install from an oem copy, which most retail stores wouldn't carry (maybe pcclub if you have one local.) Newegg + next day shipping fees - resell on ebay would probably cost you $30+ though.

Oldie said:
Well if they have an OEM version, you couldn't use another anyway; it would have to be a retail version. FTP'ing/P2P'ing you a copy of XP would be illeagle.
This would be perfectly legal, assuming he uses his pre-existing key, which I'm assuming is legit. The media isn't what's legal/illegal...it's the license that matters.

Exactly what I'm saying, they have a legit retail key but no CD. You think finding a CD would be easy. I just d/l'ed an iso of xp home and have scanned it multiple times, looks to be the real thing. Good thing we have this p2p thing, lol. It can have its legitimate uses and isn't as bad as everyone thinks. :cool:

Seems to be an OEM CD, I'm guessing they are different than the regular retail CD's. I know the keys stay with one computer but is the CD any different. Probably is.

It's funny, if you know about computers you have a Pro CD, if you don't you have a Home Restore CD from some OEM dealer. Stupid Home.

What I did was downloaded one of those 9 in 1 XP Cds. While its intended for illegal use, its great when you're fixing other people's computers who have lost their CDs, since you can burn them a copy of whatever version they have a license for. Its also great for reformatting peoples computers who have HPs, Dells, etc so you can bypass the recovery Cds that pre-install all the bloatware with Windows.

All I am going to say is that downloading "ISOs" from the internet to use on customers or clients computers is playing with fire.

If I found out one of my employees did that, I'd fire them on the spot.

If the customer doesn't have their CD, then they have to either call and obtain a replacement, or buy a new one. Period.

playing with fire

I know and that's why I hesitate to do it. But really, why spend 100 or so dollars when you have the key and just need the software?

I think I will just ask them to buy the real disk since they will be using their computer for an at-home business. Why "play with fire" so to speak. I hate to do it but it's gotta be done. Maybe they can just buy XP Home Retail (they don't need Pro) and then I can copy the disk and have a spare for the future. So what will Home run them at BestBuy? 100$? 130$? Thanks everyone.

DragonNOA1 said:
I know and that's why I hesitate to do it. But really, why spend 100 or so dollars when you have the key and just need the software?

I think I will just ask them to buy the real disk since they will be using their computer for an at-home business. Why "play with fire" so to speak. I hate to do it but it's gotta be done. Maybe they can just buy XP Home Retail (they don't need Pro) and then I can copy the disk and have a spare for the future. So what will Home run them at BestBuy? 100$? 130$? Thanks everyone.

Have them call MS and see what they need in the way of information to have a replacement disc sent.

I'm going to say that having the client call and get a replacement disk is your best bet.
I'm of the train of thought that if you already have the key purchased legitly, it doesn't matter where you get the physical cd from, but I don't think MS thinks the same way.
I don't know what MS requires to get a replacement cd, hopefully it isn't too difficult for you.

They don't have a receipt. I wonder how hard this is going to be.

To obtain replacement CD-ROMs or manuals, contact the Microsoft Replacement and Supplemental Parts Department at (800) 360-7561.

When you call for a replacement CD, you may be asked to fax a copy of the store receipt to the Microsoft Replacement and Supplemental Parts Department.

Note: If your copy of Office was preinstalled in a computer or distributed by an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), you must contact the OEM for a replacement. If you acquired a copy of Office through the Microsoft Open or Select Volume Licensing programs, contact the Microsoft Worldwide Fulfillment Office at (800) 248-0655.

------------------

U.S. customers can contact the Microsoft Order Desk at the following phone number:
(800) 360-7561, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific time.

Canadian customers can contact the Canadian Order Desk at the following number:
(800) 933-4750, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Pacific time.

Edit: Of course this was for Office. Can't find anything about the OS.

SJConsultant said:
All I am going to say is that downloading "ISOs" from the internet to use on customers or clients computers is playing with fire.

Right, it's not like they're actual ISO's of the discs. They're cracked copies w/o activation. Even with a legit key I wonder if the OS would pass the Genuine Windows validation.

What you could do, is burn a copy of every legit XP CD you come in contact with and store it in your toolbox for future use. I don't see a legal issue with that, however some feedback from SJConsultant would be welcomed. :)

So you mean the computer guy here at work who put a torrent client on my work computer to download the cracked version of Bitdefender shouldn't be doing it?

/end sarcasm

Seriously, what kinda of trouble can he, or my work get into for this?

Is it an OEM computer like a Dell? If so, you can contact the OEM for a replacement CD.

riot8ap said:
So you mean the computer guy here at work who put a torrent client on my work computer to download the cracked version of Bitdefender shouldn't be doing it?

/end sarcasm

Seriously, what kinda of trouble can he, or my work get into for this?

I'm sure the Business Software Alliance would be interested in talking to him. There was a reward not so long ago for reporting unlicensed products in the workplace, you could maybe make some money if you wanted.

Back on topic, I think you'd be OK downloading the iso (as long as you don't do any uploading), installing on your clients machine with his cd key then destroying the iso. No harm, no foul.

It's not an OEM so I can't contact anybody in regards to the disk but I did try to load the OS on a test computer and inputed their CD-Key and it installed fine and was asking to activate. So the CD seems legal and everything seems fine. The name of the cd is along the lines of "xpHomeOEM" but it installed fine with their retail key.

^^Yeah, but you're SOL if you're trying to activate an OEM copy with a retail key. It may pass the basic test for install, but it won't make it through activation. Not to be offensive, but you shouldn't be working on computers if you're willing to put a "downloaded" copy from a source you don't know. I personally could preload all kinds of nastiness that you probably wouldn't be able to easily detect, and I don't consider myself that knowledgeable.

It's just not a good idea.

Well I'm not too willing, that's the problem. I'm torn on what to do. It all comes back to just do the right thing and have them spend some money on it.

DragonNOA1 said:
Well I'm not too willing, that's the problem. I'm torn on what to do. It all comes back to just do the right thing and have them spend some money on it.
If by client you mean this is part of a business you own/run, and not just something you do on the side, then I would have them (or you) call Microsoft and ask about replacement media. I've heard of people paying a small fee for the media to be shipped to them, once they showed proof of a valid license.

The most important question though, that I haven't seen asked yet, is how did the person obtain this computer/license before? Whoever they bought it from, I'd go back there first. If it's a mom and pop store, they probably could just get a copied disc, and use their existing key.

It was from some guy across the street who has moved. There is a genuine sticker w/ key on the case tho so it's all legit.

i was in a similar such situation. My xp cd cracked. Straight down the middle. I called microfuckingsuck (in this case they really do blow, it's not just propoganda). They told me it would cost 45 dollars plus shipping and handling to have one sent to me, JUST THE CD, NOT A KEY, and it would take 4-6 weeks. Fuck that. I went in to my local small town computer shop (nano systems in the twin cities, mn) and they told me I could get a burn of it as long as i brought in proof i owned it. I brought in my cracked cd and they said that was enough. Not sure what you would need, but that's an avenue.

S1nF1xx said:
What you could do, is burn a copy of every legit XP CD you come in contact with and store it in your toolbox for future use. I don't see a legal issue with that, however some feedback from SJConsultant would be welcomed. :)

I already keep ISOs of every Windows OS on a server for just such occasions, mind you I own a copy of every ISO as well, so there is no legal problem for me to do so. I'm not a lawyer by any means, but I should think that MS isn't going to crack down on someone who merely has an ISO image of the software that is not installed anywhere.

If they are going to to be using it for a business, ask them to buy Pro. Personally, I would like to have the pro version if I was using it for a business...wasn't Home meant for just a "home computer." If they decide to upgrade the OS, it would be retail, they get a new key + CD, so everything would be all fine and dandy. :D

fenton06 said:
If they are going to to be using it for a business, ask them to buy Pro. Personally, I would like to have the pro version if I was using it for a business...wasn't Home meant for just a "home computer."

In a nutshell the only two major things you're losing is RDP and the ability to connect to a domain when you buy Home. The best future-proof way is to get Pro incase your company grows large enough to get a domain setup. Though even for 4 or 5 computers I'd throw a DC in there.

S1nF1xx said:
In a nutshell the only two major things you're losing is RDP and the ability to connect to a domain when you buy Home. The best future-proof way is to get Pro incase your company grows large enough to get a domain setup. Though even for 4 or 5 computers I'd throw a DC in there.

Actually there are a lot of small things that are different. I obught home and regretted it later. Things like Microsofts tools for unix won't install on home.

Rob

Robstar said:
Actually there are a lot of small things that are different. I obught home and regretted it later. Things like Microsofts tools for unix won't install on home.

Rob

That's why I said "major things". ;)

S1nF1xx said:

I'll end the splitting hairs debate by posting this link
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

and saying I'm familiar with it. :)

I have a friend burning me a copy of XP Home so we'll see how it goes. Just remember, no matter how stupid the OS is, if your customer has it... then you should too*.

* Note: This does not apply to Windows ME.

Back