Need Wireless router in sub $250 range with extreme reliability and DDWRT capable.

Hard and Confused

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, we're geting tired of replacing WRT54G's every few months here at work and we'd like to bite the bullet and get a be all end all Wireless router that will last us more than a year.

Any router we use needs to first be able to use DDWRT.

Secondly, we need a router than can stand to be under a network load of 10 - 20 pc's connecting thru it to the internet and a few laptops via wireless. Our network consists of 3 8 port Gigabit hubs which then go to our WRT54G currently.

Also, there is always downloading going on here for drivers and various software updates almost 24/7 @ 400 kbps - 2mbps so this needs to be taken into consideration for the load on the router as well.

Lastly, the price needs to be $250 or less and prefferably come with a warranty longer than 1 year.

Thanks in advance.

Well first off I would just like to ask if you are running those routers through a UPS, or are you running them direct of utility power? Reason being is I have 2 WRT54G and 1 WRT54GL running under more load that what you have described, and they have been online for 2-4 years (different routers at different locations).

As for a replacement, I would say try and get hold of something made by buffalo if you can find it. Take a look at the wiki to get a list of all the supported devices:

Well first off I would just like to ask if you are running those routers through a UPS, or are you running them direct of utility power?

That's my first hunch.....as soon as I see someone say "I'm tired of replacing <network parts> a few times a year, I think "Dirty power"....get yourself on an APC.

I setup all my clients network equipment on APC units, even on the el cheapo budget setups with sub 100 dollar home grade stuff...I simply don't see units burning out like this. Even on a 65 dollar Link wrt54g you should get more than a couple of years out of them. Something like the APC ES350 is perfect to plug your broadband modem and router into (and switch if you run an additional one)

Back