Need wireless network to prompt for password

VeeDubbs

Limp Gawd
Okay -

We have a fairly large wireless network here. The wireless network is a separate VLAN from everything else. In a specific building, we have a specific person who deals with a lot of visitors to this one building. He says the visitors are not all that adept at computing and find it difficult to add SSIDs to windows and what now. We, on the otherhand, do not want to broadcast our SSID since we do not have any security on it. I know that not broadcasting the SSID doesn't do much anyways, but that's my boss' decision.

So, what we're looking at doing is hopefully having people's computers finding the wireless network on it's own. But then bringing them to a webpage to enter a password for the network. I would have to be a generic password that can easily be changed since none of these visitors would have any known user ID that they could authenticate as. How would we go about doing this?

Is this something Chillispot (or something like that) could handle? I don't think we would need a RADIUS server since they aren't really authenticating to anything.

Let me know what we can do here.

Thanks!

yes chillispot can do that, you still need radius server though because it is used as backbone db and that's where the usernames/passwords are stored.

Man I remember on the dd-wrt forum some guy had a free radius server for Chillispot. I messed around with it 1x and it was nice. It was on the forums I believe, I will try to find

I use worldspot with DD-WRT:
http://worldspot.net/

Works well and is free if you are providing free or just password protected access. You can also do charging but then they take a commision.

Its a bit confusing at first the way some things are layed out on the site, but it works well and is pretty painless.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Here's kind of an addendum to my original post.

We have 100+ APs on campus - all of which are enterprise APs (ciscos, HPs). A lot of the captive portal stuff I've been reading seems to talk about loading stuff on linksys routers and what not. So, is this still the way to go?

Also, I found out we currently have Cisco ACS, although it is not being used. I started looking at it (and getting confused) and trying to make my way through it was their documentation.

Now, with that said. Can you guys maybe recommend a way for me to get done what I need to get done.

Out of the 100 APs, I just want to set 2 of them (when a user connects to them and opens a browser for the first time) to be redirected to a webpage asking for a password.

Thanks for any info you may be able to offer!

i didn't know you had some enterprise grade stuff, i would look into captive portal and some radius server. cisco makes a wireless management i think. (look back a few pages/post someone wanted to do wireless for a school was mentioned).

Back