Need wireless device

TheCommander

2[H]4U
I need a device that would recieve and transmit data to a router. I am using vonage and the vonage device along with the router are in one room and a fax machine I have is located in the opposite side of the house. Is there a wireless device I could use to hook my fax up to without running a cable across the house? Could I use a wireless access point maybe?

It sounds like you want the analog side to be wireless. A router won't do that.

Back in the bad old days of DirecTV requiring phone connections (and everyone has a phone connection near their TV, right?), we used these TR/RX sets by RCA that did the trick.

You need to be careful here. There are two types. One is a PHONE extension and will not reliably carry data (aka fax and modem).

You need a DATA compatible version. One example is here:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RC930-Cal...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1198088719&sr=8-1

There are probably other versions from other manufacturers, but the RCA's worked well for DirecTV use.

If I'm on the right track, this should take care of things for you.

Now, can you run more than one at a time? Damned if I know. You'll have to research that :)

Also, I didn't look at what freq these run on. If it's 2.4 or 5.8, Ghz.... well, you know where I'm going with this :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It sounds like you want the analog side to be wireless. A router won't do that.

Back in the bad old days of DirecTV requiring phone connections (and everyone has a phone connection near their TV, right?), we used these TR/RX sets by RCA that did the trick.

You need to be careful here. There are two types. One is a PHONE extension and will not reliably carry data (aka fax and modem).

You need a DATA compatible version. One example is here:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RC930-Cal...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1198088719&sr=8-1

There are probably other versions from other manufacturers, but the RCA's worked well for DirecTV use.

If I'm on the right track, this should take care of things for you.

Now, can you run more than one at a time? Damned if I know. You'll have to research that :)

UPDATE:

"Product Description

Amazon.com Product Description
The RCA Wireless Modem Jack RC930 uses household electrical wiring to provide a simple solution for consumers who want to add a telephone jack to any room in the home or office. It can accommodate modem speeds up to 56K and is compatible with personal and laptop computers, caller ID units, and Internet access devices, in addition to corded and cordless phones, answering machines, fax machines, and digital satellite system receivers.
The system consists of two units: a base and an extension. The base unit transmits the telephone signal on the electrical wiring using the FM band. It plugs into an electrical outlet near an existing telephone jack and connects to an existing telephone jack with a modular phone cord. The extension unit plugs into any electrical outlet and operates as a telephone jack. Once the base unit is plugged in, an unlimited number of extension units may be operated from the original base unit.

Product Description
Now you can surf in any room of the house. Installing an additional jack for your modem just got a lot easier. The RCA Wireless Modem Jack turns any electrical outlet into a modem jack. This 56K modem jack is designed specifically for the demanding high speeds of today's modems. And it's expandable, for a variety of other communications devices!The RC930 contains base unit, extension unit and 6 ft. phone cord. The base unit has two modular telephone jacks and the extension unit has one jack."

Now, can you actually buy only the extensions, that is the question :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back