Need Web and E-Mail hosting.

Cong Sat

Weaksauce
Totally new at this - using an outside vendor. I always did it using Win servers and/or LAMP solutions. Just retired my server that practically did it all for 8+ years. I figure its more cost effective using a vendor now.

I'm quite fluent in buying the domain(s), adjusting the records, and managing the DNS entries via ZoneEdit.

The purpose of the site is for my primary business (graphic design/photography, pre-press/print production) and to display my portfolio. I'm old school and would like to total control the site via FTP. All the hosting sites seem to bombard me with all the features like GoDaddy and I end up confused and walking away.

Requirements with mail are IMAP and WebMail.

www.site5.com has very good hosting.

I dont really look at the packages and features so much, as they all just oversell and they all pretty much have all the features anyone could desire these days. My main reason for recommending site5 is that they have great customer support, and fast shared servers (many of the others I have tried are slower at running intensive code).

For email, I would use Google Apps personally. It is free, has the best spam blocking, and a great interface that supports web, IMAP, and POP3 easily.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum on this specific topic.

I've used bluehost.com in the past and been pleased with the service.

I will second the recomondetion for BlueHost.
I use them for my personal site and just move a company from Yahoo! hosting to BlueHost.I like all the features they offer and had 100% uptime so far on both sites.
Customer Service is awesome and great forums with users that really enjoy helping others.

There are usually links you can find to drop the price from $6.95 per month to $3.95 per month (24 or 36 month signup) or $4.95 per month (12 month signup)
Just takes 5 seconds on google / bing.

For email, I would use Google Apps personally. It is free, has the best spam blocking, and a great interface that supports web, IMAP, and POP3 easily.

I would second Google Apps for the email, as i've never found an easier to use and better looking webmail client & it's free.

I would second Google Apps for the email, as i've never found an easier to use and better looking webmail client & it's free.

Just did this myself... Paid $10/yr for a custom domain name- for practically unlimited email usage. IMAP access means I can get local access on Outlook, and Gmail Mobile means I get it on my Blackberry as well.

For PAID hosting, I dont know how much bandwidth you use, but I am using (and like) Little Oak.
They're a smaller company but I've had no downtime with them. It also means a real person will email you back with any problems you might have.

Also, I was thinking about this, as much as I hate Google... Microsoft won't allow my domain on their equivalent of Google Apps (Live Small Business). Why? It has the word "online" in my domain :rolleyes:

It's my family name+online stuck at the end. It'd be like Bill Gates, gatesonline.com

But, that online means Microsoft rejects it. So I'm sticking with Google Apps. Not changing my email address just for some retarded policy at Microsoft.

I've used bluehost.com in the past and been pleased with the service.

As long as you are not running anything that can push their sql servers they are fine. We had issues with running a small clan fourm on them. Kept getting cpu quota errors.

For email google apps is something to look into. That or if it is a small number of users a hosted exchange enviroment.

All I can say is stay far far away from 1&1 Web Hosting!!!. Look at all their ratings and beware of their bait and switch scam. They send you to their Debt Collectors after only 6- days and you don't even know that you've been charged / scammed.

I will second the recomondetion for BlueHost.
I use them for my personal site and just move a company from Yahoo! hosting to BlueHost.I like all the features they offer and had 100% uptime so far on both sites.
Customer Service is awesome and great forums with users that really enjoy helping others.

There are usually links you can find to drop the price from $6.95 per month to $3.95 per month (24 or 36 month signup) or $4.95 per month (12 month signup)
Just takes 5 seconds on google / bing.

I would third the vote for bluehost. I had a pleasant experience with them and their customer service is up to par. Bluehost's webshell is really helpful too!

Holy cow. BlueHost is $7/mo for unlimited everything, and they pay for your domain registration? Any catches?????

lfchosting.com

never been down with them and get a real person on the phone for billing or tech support issues in less than 3 minutes!

I've used them for 5+ years now...

BlueHost is $7/mo for unlimited everything, and they pay for your domain registration? Any catches?????

1) Shared hosting.
2) Restrictions. Unlimited does not necessarily mean Unlimited.

When you go to a shared host, the majority of them will usually say Unlimited whatever but if you put media on your site, or even push the envelope in terms of disk usage or cpu usage (bandwidth too) then you may run into issues.

Holy cow. BlueHost is $7/mo for unlimited everything, and they pay for your domain registration? Any catches?????

It is not technically unlimited everything. They will turn you off if you use too much of the server resources and you will share the server with many, many other people who could all effect the uptime of your site. Read the fine print as well, using your site for media or file downloads will often negate the unlimited terms as will using more than your share of the CPU.

$5-10 a month is standard nowadays for shared web hosting and if you sign up for a year most hosting companies will offer you a free domain.

Back