• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need vs Want i7 from Conroe?

Megalomaniac

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
2,193
I am looking at the reviews, and I admit, short of day to day performance boosts that I would get, I am looking for better gaming fps as my primary reason to upgrade.

But for a minimum of $600 bucks, I dont see much gain going to i7 (either 920 or 860) in gaming.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=8
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09/08/intel-core-i5-and-i7-lynnfield-cpu-review/8

These Test results tell me one thing: if you have a Core 2 Duo running at 3+ GHz, you are still largely limited by the GPU. There is definitely a gain here, but not the mind blowing 25% or better that one would expect. (minimum FPS)

From what I have read of all the various reviews these days, the two best upgrades still seem to be an SSD and a new GPU. The cost for both is the same as for a i7 system, but the difference is much more noticeable.


/rant
 
Just throwing this out there... I went from a C2D e6600 clocked at 3.2 with a ati 1950xtx card and 2 gigs ram to a i7920 with an ati 4890 with 6 gigs ram...while this doesnt really meet your comparison criteria i will say the difference between the two from bootup, gaming, day to day tasks, and program load times, is night and day. i knew it would be faster but the difference was astounding...
 
Just throwing this out there... I went from a C2D e6600 clocked at 3.2 with a ati 1950xtx card and 2 gigs ram to a i7920 with an ati 4890 with 6 gigs ram...while this doesnt really meet your comparison criteria i will say the difference between the two from bootup, gaming, day to day tasks, and program load times, is night and day. i knew it would be faster but the difference was astounding...

Did you get a new HD too? My intuition tells me that if bootup/general snappiness improved it's because of a new HD (not to mention Windows install) and possibly extra RAM. But correct me if I'm wrong.
 
HDD is the same, raptor 150 gig. the ram may have well played a part in load speeds, but overall the system is significantly faster
 
I did upgrade from 2GB of ram to 4GB, and that was a great improvement to snappiness.
All of a sudden, I could run my 70+ tab Firefox and torrent, and Alt+Tab from games with little problem. 2GB of ram were giving me problems.

But I still can't do this, and I dont think anyone with an HDD can regardless if they have a C2D, a C2Q, an i7 or i5:
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=20
 
That's interesting. I've been itching to upgrade for the last 6 months and go back and forth between AMD and Intel.

Should I upgrade from E630 (Conroe) with 4 gigs of ram (PC6400) to Q9550, and only have to replace the CPU and maybe upgrade ram to PC8500, or just go for an i5 system. I only game.
 
If you have a 64 bit OS, 4GB of RAM for $50 is much better than the Q9550 for $200. (but you will see benefits even with an 32 bit OS)
But that's what i would do and I tend to be frugal with money on upgrades. It is easy to drop $600-$1000 and have new toys, and if that makes you happy, go for it.

While I see that there would be everyday benefits and a lot of encoding and decoding benefits to a i5/i7 platform, i just cant justify spending so much money on it yet. I'm itching to upgrade too, but its an itch im not willing to scratch. I am actually very psyched about SATA III or the 6 Gbps SATA and what it will do for the SSDs. Plus there are DX11 GPUs on the horizon :) thats one itch that might be worth scratching.
 
I did upgrade from 2GB of ram to 4GB, and that was a great improvement to snappiness.
All of a sudden, I could run my 70+ tab Firefox and torrent, and Alt+Tab from games with little problem. 2GB of ram were giving me problems.

But I still can't do this, and I dont think anyone with an HDD can regardless if they have a C2D, a C2Q, an i7 or i5:
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=20

70 tabs? Seriously?
 
I'm kind of unsure whether I want to upgrade yet. E6750 @ 3.2 with 4890. I currently game at 1680x1050 but I might get a 23" 1920x1080 soon. I was fairly excited for i5 and I could buy i5/mobo/4gb for about $430 (mix of MC and egg).

I want a big Want but I don't think I Need. haha.
 
Back
Top