• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need versatile headphones!

thepirat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
147
I'm going to be buying a pair of cans. I will be using them for audio recording and mastering, playing guitar, listening to music, and for my laptop. They have to be durable because I expect to get a lot of use out of them.

My price range is $100-200 and so far I'm looking at the AKG K240 ($99) and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro ( ~$170) (These two were suggested to me at Guitar Center).

Has anyone had any experience, or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
 
I've heard some good things about the Sennheiser HD-280 pro cans. They are also about $20 below what you're willing to spend.
 
I tried the Senn HD 280 Pros because of the review over at headroom, but I ended up returning them because I found them extremely uncomfortable. I may just not be a closed can guy. The sound was good though, probably what you're looking for, but I remember that the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80s my friend had were more comfortable and also sounded great. Of course, they're way more expensive than the HD 280s. I've never listened to the DT 770s, but people around here seem to like them a lot, and not that it really matters, but I think they look cooler than the other choices. At 250 ohms though, your laptop probably won't be able to drive them well without a headphone amp.
 
Monkey_feces said:
I've heard some good things about the Sennheiser HD-280 pro cans. They are also about $20 below what you're willing to spend.
I'de avoid the HD280pro and HD280silver. The cheap plastic on them and bad design lead to anything BUT burability.

It seems the guy at guitar city gave good advice.

The K240 would be a very good choice, especially because they are durable and cheap. I have not heard the beyer DT250, but there are some who really enjoy them. I remember reading a few comparisons on head-fi.org about the difference between the DT250 and the DT770pro.
(I'll try and dig up that article soon)

The DT770pro are made like a tank, and will survive nuclear winter........ but......... they are not the most balanced headphones for mastering. Still, great headphones for listening to music.
 
the akg's should be decent. the dt770's will prob require an amp to sound good.

I've got some Senn HD595's that sound great unamped and are a good all around can. You can get them shipped from Amazon for about $180
 
Perhaps you should also look into the AKG K501.

EDIT: Will you be using a headphone amp?
 
Back
Top