Need URGENT help! This is not a drill! IT problems

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
Story time.

I work at Office Depot during the weekends because I'm in college. Last saturday, I had business customers come in looking for computers and other components. I spent almost an hour with them until they thought it would be a good idea to offer me a job as an IT personel for their business branch here in Wisconsin. I have very little experience with networking but I can diagnose almost any given hardware and most software problems. I explained that to them but they were still interest in hire me also for the fact that I speak Portuguese (they do a lot of business with Brazil). I agreed to help them out in any possible way that I could.

Now here's the issue. I want to help them but I don't want to look like a moron when I have to do something. To make it even worse, they are going to talk to HP tomorrow but I cannot be there to give my advice. I am writing a Word document specifying what type of questions they should ask since I am not there.

Here are my questions:
What questions should they ask from HP?
Anything I should read as far as a crash course in IT?

t00thless said:
your first question is too broad for me to answer. are they talking about buying computers from them? servers? need more info, please.

you are probably going to get a lot of different answers for your second question, but i would start with network+ stuff. here is a site with some free reading:

http://www.mcmcse.com/comptia/network/networkplus.shtml

Sorry for not specifying it before, I e-mailed them to ask what they are buying and they answered with: printers, copy machines, computers, servers...

Next question, For how many people? The difference between networking a couple of computers in a work group and putting together a domain can be tricky but if you are a quick study and already got your hardware down it shouldnt be to bad.

They should be able to tell there HP Sales agent how many people they have and the rep should be able to give them a variety of quotes...tell them to set firm limits on their out the door price and HP should be able to set them up nice. Recomend they get the 3 year on site warranty if you are going to be the only on site tech...and a couple extra computers to replace the desktops while you get the ones that die repaired under warranty.

Just my .02, maybe a little ahead of the curve planning wise.

dx2 said:
Next question, For how many people? The difference between networking a couple of computers in a work group and putting together a domain can be tricky but if you are a quick study and already got your hardware down it shouldnt be to bad.

They should be able to tell there HP Sales agent how many people they have and the rep should be able to give them a variety of quotes...tell them to set firm limits on their out the door price and HP should be able to set them up nice. Recomend they get the 3 year on site warranty if you are going to be the only on site tech...and a couple extra computers to replace the desktops while you get the ones that die repaired under warranty.

Just my .02, maybe a little ahead of the curve planning wise.

Still waiting for that response.

Back