• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need UPS Solution

rosco

Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
722
I'm getting tired of the issues that go along with having to replace UPS batteries. There is a setup at an office I'm working with where they have 3 servers and 3 UPS devices.

So, when a UPS needs the battery changed, I have to shut down everything connected to it then power it town, replace the batteries then bring everything back up. This causes either down time or me to have to come in after hours. Both aren't good.

This time I figured out that one of the servers has redundant power supplies. So, if I move the power cord from one of the PSUs to a different UPS, then when I shut down the UPS it is still powered by one of the two PSUs.

However, that won't always work.

So, how would you guys recommend setting this up? Are their UPS units out there that allow you to change the batteries while it's online? I'm guessing those will be pricey but I would like to know what my options are I guess.

Thanks.
 
Well, to partly answer my own question, Smart UPS units are hot-swappable!!

That is a huge help.
 
I've never hot swapped a UPS, are you talking APC Smart UPS? Redundant PS always do the job, you plug each one into a different UPS, although depending on how you smart manage them, that doesn't always work either.
 
The batteries in a Smart UPS can be replaced while it is powered on. I then did a self test to get it to recognize the new batteries and was set to go. Pretty painless actually.
 
Back
Top