Need upgrade/rebuild assistance

FireBean

Gawd
Hey Everyone,
I'm going to be upgrading my Sandy Bridge build soon and I kind of stuck of how I want to do something. I plan on starting a streaming channel for fun but I also want to provide the highest production quality I can. So, with that said, should I put my old rig to work as a streaming server and have to purchase a capture card for it or just take the money I would of use for the capture card and go for a R7 1700 instead of a R5 1600? New rig is going to be an ITX Build. I just need to wait for the
Phanteks Evolv Shift X become available. Also, will I really notice a difference upgrading a 960 Pro M.2?

Also, will I really notice a difference upgrading a 960 Pro M.2?

Current Rig:
Case: Silverstone FT03
CPU: 2500k @ 5.1Ghz on Water
RAM: 8GB 1600 no name crap
GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 650W
SSD: 256GB 850 Pro
Secondary Storage: iSCSI LUN to NAS (~20TB)
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG2478Q

Proposed Upgrades:
R5 1600 or R7 1700
16GB Flare RAM
mITX Motherboard (Undecided)
Maybe a 960 Pro SSD M.2

Last edited:
NVME 960 PRO likely won't make much difference if you are just playing games:

If you are doing things like photoshop, video editing, or thing related to databases it can make a difference. I imagine that you might do some of these things if you are getting into content creation. That said, the difference is likely to be relatively small (vs a pretty decent already 850 Pro). You will likely get more out of further upgrading your CPU vs going to the 960. You can always get the 960 later--plus flash prices are high due to NAND shortages at the moment.

Also, Gamers Nexus recently tested the 1700 for streaming and they concluded that it works good enough. They recommended it over the i7-7700k for starting streamers. They did say that you would want to eventually shift to a dual computer setup if you want to stream professionally. I think that starting with a 1700 and then deciding if you need more would likely be the best option for you.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2993-amd-1700-vs-intel-7700k-for-game-streaming?showall=1

Back