• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need upgrade (from 775) recommendations!

Joined
Jun 5, 2001
Messages
26
Here is my situation, I have an aging Q6600 hand-built desktop for several years now and I need some advises to build a new semi-gaming desktop.

My current setup:
Intel Q6600 with stock HSF
ECS G31T-M mobo (I know most don't like ECS but I've been using this for 3+ years now. Rock solid no issues whatsoever.)
4GB DDR2 800 (2x2GB) RAM
500GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB HD
eVGA 9800GT 512MB
Antec TruePower TP-650 650W PSU

Actually I just upgraded to 9800GT from a Radeon 1650 Pro few weeks ago (HUGE difference :cool:). Got a deal on it. It was $80 - $30 mailing rebate. So $50 for 9800GT. Last night I purchased another 9800GT with same deal. It was Gigabyte 9800GT 512MB $80 - $30 mailing rebate.

I intend to SLI these two. I'm contemplating shall I upgrade to a newer LGA 775 mobo and re-use everything else I have? (CHEAP!) Or shall I upgrade CPU+Mobo+RAM (DDR3)? (NOT CHEAP!)

I'm trying to keep the cost low. My current setup is quite sufficient and I don't have performance problems. The only game I play daily is Team Fortress 2. And some other misc ones liks Crysis.

I know SLI-ing 2x9800GT gives me the ball park range of a 260 GTX and without DirectX 11. I don't mind.


I see just DDR3 RAM is still quite expensive... 2x2GB hovering around ~$110. If I upgrade the CPU+mobo god knows how much that would cost. If I just want to upgrade the to a newer SLI LGA 775 mobo, can someone give me a decent recommendation? Try to keep under $80~$100 if possible. If you recommend I upgrade to the newer AMD or Intel setup using DDR3, can you also give me some good cheap recommendations as well?

- Quadcore
- 4GB RAM
- SLI

Thanks!
 
Honestly, it doesn't seem like you need an upgrade. I would sell both of those 9800GT's and buy a HD5770, then you would be set. Also if you want to pinch more performance out of your setup you could easily o/c your q6600 to atleast 3.4 (this is where the ECS mobo may not be as stable as other "more reputable" motherboard). That would require an aftermarket cooler though, which would be another $30-40.
 
I agree with Shadowssong. Unless you need more power for something more than a "semi-gaming" rig, or for rendering. Then just jump up the GPU ladder. 775 setups aren't that outdated yet, you still have upgrade options. Otherwise you're looking at a whole new setup for i7/i5, no point buying new for 775.
 
I agree

Get a good heatsink and overclock it to 3 GHz, sell your old 9800gt and buy GTX 460.
 
Back
Top