need two quiet 120mm fans

tokey

Supreme [H]ardness
okay so i need some high cfm 120mm fans that will be quiet... the two fans i have i got for free from xoxide two blue led typhoon fans..... they push air okay but they are loud.....i dont need led lights in my fans especially with my cathode lighting and since i was thinking about painting the interior or my case to match the exterior i was actually thinking just plain ol' black fans any ideas? i have heard good things bout yate loon fans should i just try to pick up some of them?

That fan sounds like a 747. That's not one of the quiet Yate Loons.

Do you have a motherboard like the IP35 Pro with built-in fan control?

Yate Loons aren't the best, but they are the best value. The fan to get from Yate Loon is the D12SL-12 for $3 to $4/ea. Search jab-tech.com for D12SL-12. Note these will require a fan controller to run very quiet.

If your heatsink uses a 120mm fan, I would replace it with a Scythe S-Flex SFF21E. This is a better fan than the Yate Loon, but it costs about 3x as much. The S-Flex SFF21E is quieter than the Yate Loon D12SL-12, but it is not silent without fan control.

For even less noise without a fan controller, I would suggest the Scythe Slip-Stream SY1225SL12L, but only for case exhaust and intake fans that are not blocked by a filter. This fan is not as good as the S-Flex for pulling air through dust filters. Nor is it as good as the S-Flex for pushing air through tightly spaced fins.

lol i dont think my mobo has a fan controller i would have to double check my manual... i usually run my fans direct from my psu.... sept my rear fan in this case the power cable wont connect to the psu (tooshort) so i have it hooked into the mobo but its a single speed fan so i cant adjust it

i havent installed my heatsink yet.... i bought a tuniq tower 120 w/ blue led fan as an open box from a local pc store for $10 but i havent had the time to install it...right now i just have stock cooling

lol i dont think my mobo has a fan controller i would have to double check my manual... i usually run my fans direct from my psu.... sept my rear fan in this case the power cable wont connect to the psu (tooshort) so i have it hooked into the mobo but its a single speed fan so i cant adjust it
Motherboards like the IP35 Pro and high-end models from Gigabyte have a built-in fan controller. This allows them to reduce the speed (noise) of standard 3-pin fans at idle, and increase the fan speed (noise) when temperatures increase.

All recent Gigabyte motherboards should provide fan control for at least the CPU fan, but I believe you've got to step up to the DQ6 to get fan control for other headers.

To use the Gigabyte's fan control on the CPU, you would connect your CPU fan to the CPU header on the motherboard. You would enable the fan control in the bios, and then run Gigabyte's software to customize how it works. Once you've done that, you can uninstall the Gigabyte software.

If you are going to use the Gigabyte's fan control for the CPU fan, you can probably step up to the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F to cool your Tuniq Tower.

lol yeah brain fart.... it does have a built in fan controller

i guess i am off to order some fans... and thermal grease for my tuniq, thanks!

I've got 3 high speed Yate Loons in my case, they were the ones for like $4, I think I got them from jab-tech. I put all 3 on one channel from my sunbeam controller and they are seriously about totally silent. When I game, I just turn that knob up a bit, and it's all good.

I'd recommend this setup to anyone who seriously games, but wants a super quiet PC when browsing or working. There's just no other cheap way to do it. I can get those fans to where they are barely spinning, and then turn them up to really high CFM, and everything inbetween.

I've got 3 high speed Yate Loons in my case, they were the ones for like $4, I think I got them from jab-tech. I put all 3 on one channel from my sunbeam controller and they are seriously about totally silent. When I game, I just turn that knob up a bit, and it's all good.

I'd recommend this setup to anyone who seriously games, but wants a super quiet PC when browsing or working. There's just no other cheap way to do it..
Sure there is.

Why do you think the Abit IP35 Pro motherboard is so popular? [Aside from being a good overclocker?] It has that fan control functionality built-in.

In the bios, the IP35 Pro provides independent control for the CPU fan and five other fan headers. It controls standard 3-pin single speed fans by adjusting the voltage, just like your Sunbeam.

With the Abit, you can set every fan header to run at a low (quiet/silent) speed when your CPU / chipset / case temperature is below a level you define, and at a higher speed when your CPU / chipset / case temperature is above a level you define. That way, there's no knobs to mess with, the fan speed (and noise) changes automatically depending on what you are doing with your computer.

cheap is relative to how much money is in your wallet... personally i only have $20 at the moment..... so $4 a pop is cheap lol but if i had another $20 a fan controller wouldnt be out of the Q.... but it isnt pay day.... landlord wants his slice and i think i have a few bills to pay so off to order some $4 fans and use my onboard fan controller :p

Sure there is.

Why do you think the Abit IP35 Pro motherboard is so popular? [Aside from being a good overclocker?] It has that fan control functionality built-in.

In the bios, the IP35 Pro provides independent control for the CPU fan and five other fan headers. It controls standard 3-pin single speed fans by adjusting the voltage, just like your Sunbeam.

With the Abit, you can set every fan header to run at a low (quiet/silent) speed when your CPU / chipset / case temperature is below a level you define, and at a higher speed when your CPU / chipset / case temperature is above a level you define. That way, there's no knobs to mess with, the fan speed (and noise) changes automatically depending on what you are doing with your computer.

Sorry bout that. Silly me assumed that the OP would use the fan controller of his choice. I personally use the add-in Sunbeam because I like 100% control over the fan speed, not to mention I can also turn them off. I work inside all my pc's a lot, and having this control is really handy.

If finances are a problem, then most definitely use the built in MB fan controls that you have already. I still use the CPU fan header just to let me know if/when I hit a certain temp.

Noctua, Nexus and Scythe S-flex are good quiet fans. Although the Noctua is not the most attractive it is among the best.

Noctua, Nexus and Scythe S-flex are good quiet fans. Although the Noctua is not the most attractive it is among the best.
Note only the new, more expensive Noctua NF-P12 is good. The original Noctua NF-S12 stunk for use with heatsinks (and intake fans with filters), as verified by reviews over at SilentPCReview and Extremesystems.

Scythe S-flex and Noctua NF-P12 are comparable.

Note only the new, more expensive Noctua NF-P12 is good. The original Noctua NF-S12 stunk for use with heatsinks (and intake fans with filters), as verified by reviews over at SilentPCReview and Extremesystems.

Scythe S-flex and Noctua NF-P12 are comparable.
I take that back. All Noctua fans stink. :) Unless you're running them in free air.

I had seen those tests by Bluefront before, but I thought he had compared the S12. The S12 gets berated repeatedly over at Extremesystems for its abysmal performance in (1) pushing air through heatsinks and (2) pulling air through dust filters. The P12 was supposed to fix that, but it clearly suffers from problems of its own.

LOL.... well damn! Im gonna go throw away my favorite noctua fan now.. thx a lot! :D
According to several reviews, an Ultra 120 Extreme with a S-Flex or P12 will produce CPU temperatures that are 4-6 degrees lower than a S12.

That's more than the difference between an Ultra 120 Extreme and [much] cheaper heatsinks.

I would throw that S12 away. :D

Its a rear case fan with no grill.... I think ill keep it ;) It moves a good amount of air and is very silent. I can see why it would not be the best fan on a heatsink but in a case application like mine it is perfect. I run Scythe S-flex fans also and I like them just as much even tho they are a bit louder then my Noctua's.

I swear by my S-Flex-E as well. I have five of them in my Antec P182 (2 front, 1 CPU HSF, 1 VGA HSF, and 1 rear). For the amount of air it moves, I would consider it very quiet. If you want it to be almost dead silent, then the "D" model will be better.

I'll agree with Copyright because I'm using Noctua's in my case and on my TRUE CPU cooler and it never exceeds 35C on a Q6600 @ 3ghz, it also does it's job completely silently.

I'll agree with Copyright because I'm using Noctua's in my case and on my TRUE CPU cooler and it never exceeds 35C on a Q6600 @ 3ghz, it also does it's job completely silently.

You mean "never exceeds 35C on a Q6600 @ 3ghz" AT IDLE?

No, under load. In fact I normally idle along in the high 20's which is plenty good for me.

No, under load. In fact I normally idle along in the high 20's which is plenty good for me.

Umm... I call BS on this.

What is your ambient temp.?

Your idle is completely normal...but at full load and not surpassing 35C is walking into high-end watercooling territory.

My ambient is 17C, here is a screenie.

Desktop2.jpg

Screenshot is too small.

What is your ambient temp?

There's no way that it can be at 17C unless you're living up north somewhere, and saving your electricity bill by not turning on your heater.

Check out the slip streams, just got two in.. they are indeed very quiet (I can't hear them over PSU/HDD). I have 2 800 RPM versions though. I am going to try out some 1200RPM ones sometime in the future.. but for now I just want quiet and adequate air.

what temp program is that? idle in the 20's are believable but you probably didnt load it with prime95 small ffts

lol wow think your start somethen small and sure enough everyone has advice.... glad i didnt order anything yet lol..... who knew fans were so complicated....... lol i just want to keep my case cool didnt know it was like buying hardware lol.... btw should i or shouldnt i cut the honeycomb fan hole off the back of the case to allow better flow..... i am already thinking bout downsizing my hd cage to a three drive bay to allow better flow.....

this is the case

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1215768&CatId=1842

the vga vent i like seems to draw in plenty of air..... but i am thinkin bout putting two 80mm fans there in the future if temps become a problem

also should i be worried about temps going up if i paint the inside to a gloss black to match the outside? that bare aluminum just makes my case too bright i like my lighting but i hate the reflective light off the aluminum if i am playin games in the dark

btw i apreciate the comments :)

Screenshot is too small.

What is your ambient temp?

There's no way that it can be at 17C unless you're living up north somewhere, and saving your electricity bill by not turning on your heater.

Actually I like my house cold and I can afford to do it year-round. Right now I have the windows open to the room where the computer sits so it is pretty chilly(for Texas anyway). After 2.5 hours of playing The Witcher I got all the way up to 24C, I'd say that's good. I'm done discussing this(I posted the pic to put your mind at ease), I don't really care if you believe me or not. I recommend the OP check out both Noctua and Scythe, they are both great fans. BTW, the temp program shown in the screenie is Asus Probe.

Yeah, I don't exclusively rely on Asus Probe 2 for my readings, I'll hop into the BIOS and check it out there too. After playing hard on Crysis(everything High) or The Witcher(Maxed Out) for a few hours I'll quickly reboot and go in the bios for readings, again the highest I've ever seen is mid-30's. I'm not trying to BS anyone and I really don't like someone trying to call BS on what I'm saying. Anyway, my point is regardless of what some site or person says, my experience with Noctua fans in my computer case and on my TRUE CPU cooler has been excellent. I'm still letting the AS ceramique settle in too. :D

Asus probe is probably reading from the bios and the bios doesnt give each core temp. Core Temp will read different then your bios and your Asus probe. My guess is higher as most motherboards ive used always read low. Give it a shot.. its a small easy program.

Thanks, I'll check it out again. I thought I had heard somewhere that it didn't play nice with Vista 64, is that true? I can't remember where I heard that but it was the reason I never installed it in the first place.:confused:

Well when you start it up press F8 and disable driver signing to use it. Theres also a registry tweak but i didnt want to do it. You can use speed fan and add 15c to the temps. OR use Everest.

Very pleased with my Noctua NF-P12 fans, one on my TRUE, and one on my HR-03GT.
Especially considering that I am using them for a good 24/7 overclock on my E8400 and 8800GTS 512.
You also have to consider the quality of the Noctuas, very good bearings and a great warranty:cool:

Back