• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

need tube amp plans

Crazy tech

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
369
I just got a bunch of old amp tubes and other asorted tubes from an old repair shop that colsed and thoght I could use the to buildan reto stereo amp for my computer .
 
Crazy tech said:
I just got a bunch of old amp tubes and other asorted tubes from an old repair shop that colsed and thoght I could use the to buildan reto stereo amp for my computer .

I would love to come into a bunch of audio tubes. But, you will also need the output transformers, which are pretty steeply priced.

A six channel discrete tube amp would be so sweet for PC sound and I have thought about building one myself, but other priorities keep getting in the way.
 
see if you can find some old mono Macintish amps and use them as a plan...... :D .....back when I had my first badass stereo I had a pair and and some of the JBL studio monitors out of an actual studio...they were awesome.
 
Thats probably not going to be an inexpensive thing to find.
 
I just got some caps and the sockets and some old milatary audio generators ,I think I can use the transformors from one of these since it has multipul voltage outputs. the tube I have are in three suitcase sized red boxs that say rca tv/radio on them and a box of 60 some of which, are labeld 6l6, 6v6, 1278 An Also got three tube testers . one from 1960 I think I'ts made from wood with an cloth wraped power cord.
 
Also check out...

Dr. Tube
Tube Depot
ax84
AmpTone
Tube Amp Webring

Re the transformers, tube amps use transformers both for power and also for speaker output. These are completely different types. Some amps also use a 3rd type for inter-stage coupling (rather than the more common capacitor coupling method). It's important to know the specs of the tubes, they have voltage and power dissapation limits you don't want to exceed.

If you've got a boatload of RCA labeld 6L6's, you might consider investigating their value... I believe some types are classic and NOS tubes can get a goood couple of bucks on ebay. Most wanted are known as RCA 'Black Plates'. If your tubes turn out to be these, you could throw a couple my way...

Old paper caps might be ok, but I'd suggest tossing any ancient electrolytics... They're probably all dried up and might not take a surge of tube strength voltage all that well (like explode!) The problem is these aren't as easily available as back in the day, you'll have to oder online.

Tubes alone do not an amp make, well at least one that drives speakers. But perhaps you could make something like this tube headphone amp...
 
I have a friend that makes tube amps and designs for hifi articles (funny is I tought him electronics years ago and he's just taken off and running with it).

Anyway, I might call him and get you some good links. I know I have a link from one of his published articles somewhere...hmmm.
 
Back
Top