Need to Stream 95MB/s to HDD

grandmaster

Limp Gawd
Hi there,

I'm currently running an Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro which has Intel and Marvell onboard RAID controllers, two PCI-X slots and PCIe x16 and x8 slots.

I'm looking to use an application that requires heavy hard disk usage - up to 95 megabytes per second, though around 60 megabytes per second would be closer to the average.

Can any one recommend a potential solution?

WD5000AAKS and Seagate 7200.11 should average around 65MB/s for reads.

So, the safest for you to get around 95MB/s would be to use 2 x 7200rpm hdds in Raid 0.

If your wallet allows, you can use 2 x Raptors which will have faster seek times if the application you use requires it.

The most important factor is the budget that you have in mind.

The most important question, what kind of data is it? Inserting SQL statements that fast would probably take RAM based hardware!!

I'm guessing this is a media player of some sort?

I note that you said "Stream 95MB/s to HDD" which means you need 95MB/s write speeds.

A RAID array will be able to handle the task as long as the RAID controller doesnt present a bottleneck.
You will need to review which controllers perform writes best and how many drives you need in the array to hit your target write speed.
RAID 0 is fine if you can afford to lose the Data should 1 drive fail or corrupt.
If you cannot afford to lose the data, a more robust solution will be required like RAID 5 but there is usually a small performance hit going to RAID 5 so you may need another drive in the array to boost the speed.

No doubt if you are capturing that much data you will be needing a lot of storage space so the smaller Raptor drives are out of the question.
The WD5000AAKS drives (500GB) are damn fast and incredibly cheap, I just bought one.
Even faster is the Hitachi 1TB drive model HDS721010KLA330.

The most important question, what kind of data is it?

QFT. If all you're doing is media capture, a simple raid-0 or 0+1 will suffice. If your application is doing 95 MB/s of random I/O... heaven help your budget :p

Back