Need to replace dead 2005 FPW

Ronbo

[H]ard|Gawd
My dell 2005FPW lost vertical sync about a week ago, I'm not thrilled about using my old samsund CRT, but I don't have much choice. I do mostly web browsing these days, but I play FPS's a few hours a week (ARMA II mostly) I was pretty happy with the Dell, and I want a 16:10 if at all possible, but I'll take a 16:9. I have about $200 to spend total, tax, shipping and all. BB is an option, it's about an hour one way to the nearest one. Let's hear everyone's reccommendations.

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. 1680 x 1050 is fine for me resolution wise. Dell charges tax + shipping, they are right out for me, direct ordering anyway, I'd rather spend that money on gas to go to BB, staple's, etc. I have Wally world and Officemax within 2 miles of the house, I've been resisting all the 1600x900 monitors they have so far, I know they probably won't do what I want. I'd really like to hear from people who have owned both monitors. Bueller? Bueller? :D

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. 1680 x 1050 is fine for me resolution wise. Dell charges tax + shipping, they are right out for me, direct ordering anyway, I'd rather spend that money on gas to go to BB, staple's, etc. I have Wally world and Officemax within 2 miles of the house, I've been resisting all the 1600x900 monitors they have so far, I know they probably won't do what I want. I'd really like to hear from people who have owned both monitors. Bueller? Bueller? :D

Be prepared for a massive downgrade if you're going to buy your monitor from any of those big box retailers you just mentioned. All they carry in store are cheap TN panels (most with 16:9 screens, instead of 16:10). The 2005FPW is a far superior monitor to anything they will be offering.

If you want an equivalent monitor, you're more than likely going to have to order online.

Yes, that's what I'm saying, I'm not willing to downgrade to a TN panel AND spend as much as the IPS I've grown used to. Basically I'm looking for a 20" IPS panel that is as close to my 2005 as possible for around $200 but it looks like I'm going to have to raise my price ceiling, or go with the crt I have. Newegg and Dell are out because tax+ shipping sucks rocks. I have no objection to ordering online, I'm just not going to get double dipped on costs like I did when I bought the 2005. It was almost an extra $100 for shipping and tax. I looked for a 2209wa, they were over $300 on dell's site. I'm a computer/laptop/electronic tech by trade, I may just try to fix my 2005. That may be my best option at this point. BTW, I have a TN panel 4:3 19" synaps that I use for my secondary monitor, I know I can't game on it, that's why I know the $100 to $150 16:9's won't make me happy.

Dell Outlet has P2210H for $159.00 and free shipping, or or 2209WA for $199.99 with free shipping. Yes, you will have to pay tax but it's not that much, $12 or so. I believe P2210H is 16:10 so it's a question if you want the resolution or the supposed better image quality.

$220 shipped is about right for a refurb2209wa with free 3-5 day shipping. It's sitting in the cart right now, but I'm going to do a little more research before I pull the trigger. Thanks everyone for the input, you all pretty much confirmed my first instincts. They have a refurbed Alienware for the same price but they clearly state it's a TN panel. I'll take a better looking 16:9 over a crappy looking 16:10. Being a former TV tech, I notice every little imperfection and it drives me nuts to have to look at crappy monitors with washed out displays, etc. It took me a long time to get used to my laptops with the narrow vertical display angles.

wow, talk about unrealistic expectations on your part. You don't want a TN panel but don't want to spend more than 200 bucks.

Then you will consider a 20" IPS panel for 200 bucks. Good luck unless it is a well used one. The 20" IPS Dell 2007FP is about 400 new.

I bet you paid a hell of alot more for your 2005FPW when you first purchased it.

The 2209WA is staring you in the face but now you're worrying about shipping costs.

Maybe you should stick to crt's.

good luck on your purchase.

$220 shipped is about right for a refurb2209wa with free 3-5 day shipping. It's sitting in the cart right now, but I'm going to do a little more research before I pull the trigger. Thanks everyone for the input, you all pretty much confirmed my first instincts. They have a refurbed Alienware for the same price but they clearly state it's a TN panel. I'll take a better looking 16:9 over a crappy looking 16:10. Being a former TV tech, I notice every little imperfection and it drives me nuts to have to look at crappy monitors with washed out displays, etc. It took me a long time to get used to my laptops with the narrow vertical display angles.
Check your PMs before you do anything. I have something you may be interested in.

^^^ Great lead, that is an amazing deal!

There is no excuse at this point in not getting this awesome IPS panel now.

wags, thanks, I found the refurb for $217 shipped because of tax differences I imagine. I'm probably going to get it, I just have to wait for my puppies to get old enough to sell, about another week roughly. I have enough of them with firm buyers to budget the funds for this. Thanks everyone who made constructive, helpful comments!

wags, thanks, I found the refurb for $217 shipped because of tax differences I imagine. I'm probably going to get it, I just have to wait for my puppies to get old enough to sell, about another week roughly. I have enough of them with firm buyers to budget the funds for this. Thanks everyone who made constructive, helpful comments!

Why not contact her and see if you can get the 212 deal and get a brand new one? I ordered mine Jan 29 for that price. came to 224 with tax shipped

OK, I figured that was the refurb price. I'm gonna contact her and see if I can get that deal! Did you tell her you are a "small business" by any chance?

OK, I figured that was the refurb price. I'm gonna contact her and see if I can get that deal! Did you tell her you are a "small business" by any chance?

I just told her I got her info from Hardforum and I heard that I could get the 2209wa for 212 shipped. She didn't ask any questions and placed the order for me.
I think they might be selling for 219 shipped plus tax now but she should give you that price. Several people in the 2209wa thread are getting that deal. Here is her contact info in you want to call.

[email protected]
1-800-456-3355 x 9460448

Thanks, I just found your post with her info in that long 2209 post. I may just bite the bullet and order monday. This is why I didn't pull the trigger on the refurb, I knew my [H] friends would help fix me up!

Thanks, I just found your post with her info in that long 2209 post. I may just bite the bullet and order monday. This is why I didn't pull the trigger on the refurb, I knew my [H] friends would help fix me up!

It is a great monitor for $225. I wouldn't pay the $300+ dell wants on the site though.

Yeah, for $330+ it was a sucky deal, but for roughly $230 it's probably a steal.

Back