Need to purchase a security camera system ASAP; any suggestions???

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
bump

Anyone have any input? I'd like to place an order today... Thanks!!

They seem OK for a basic system. No specifications on the camera resolution or capture fps though.

If you already have a computer you could use to host the function you could get a capture card separately or use a USB device along with separate cameras and cables.

They seem OK for a basic system. No specifications on the camera resolution or capture fps though.

If you already have a computer you could use to host the function you could get a capture card separately or use a USB device along with separate cameras and cables.

How fast would the computer have to be? I do have a bunch of old P4 1.8Ghz Dell boxes with 256MB or 512MB of RAM. Would that suffice? If so, I could use the following:

http://www.123securityproducts.com/pcsucacocasy.html

http://www.123securityproducts.com/compcsursysc.html

Thanks!

That would be cutting it on the low end of the required specs according to the site but it should work. You will also need a fairly significant amount of space on the disk if you plan on keeping video for any length of time. One thing to keep in mind, if those PCs are old and this is a critical application, you might not want to trust them with this function. The dedicated DVR might be more worthwhile. If you want to keep costs down as much as possible, strip any extra RAM and additional harddrives from other systems into one. Keep one extra chassis as a spare.

That would be cutting it on the low end of the required specs according to the site but it should work. You will also need a fairly significant amount of space on the disk if you plan on keeping video for any length of time. One thing to keep in mind, if those PCs are old and this is a critical application, you might not want to trust them with this function. The dedicated DVR might be more worthwhile. If you want to keep costs down as much as possible, strip any extra RAM and additional harddrives from other systems into one. Keep one extra chassis as a spare.

Yeah, cost is obviously of the issue (isn't it always?) but not to the point where I'd be willing to sacrifice any performance or quality. DVR is definitely worth it (250GB should suffice for these people).

Back