Need to purchase a 24-port Gbit switch today - which one do you recommend?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Need to purchase a 24-port Gbit switch today - which one do you recommend?

I'm torn between the following:

Netgear JGS524 for $269 (great reviews as a home switch; not recommended for corporate world)
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=652859

Linksys SR2024 for $359 (includes 2 GBICS (fiber optic ports) for future upgrades)
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=507651

3Com 3C16479 for $289 (makes solid switches; only second to Cisco)
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=507651

Linksys SRW2024 for $469 (same as SR2024, but includes Web Management interface)
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=729115

Cisco Catalyst 2960 for $1,906 (if money wasn't an issue)

But, money is an issue, so the client doesn't want the Cisco Catalyst. Which of those would you recommend and why???

Thanks!

I've used a lot of the Linksys/Cisco SR and SRW series switches for a while now...I'm very happy with them.

Did you even consider Dell? They have a web managed 24 port GIG for around $250 with 2 Gbic ports

Powerconnect 2724

The Linksys SR2024 does not include the Gbics it just has the ports for the Gbics.

Also note that these Cheap web managed (the Dell 2724 I mention and the linksys SRW2024) do not have all the options of a fully managed switch.. i.e. SNMP

moetop said:
Did you even consider Dell? They have a web managed 24 port GIG for around $250 with 2 Gbic ports

Powerconnect 2724

The Linksys SR2024 does not include the Gbics it just has the ports for the Gbics.

Also note that these Cheap web managed (the Dell 2724 I mention and the linksys SRW2024) do not have all the options of a fully managed switch.. i.e. SNMP

A fair comparison would be the model that's phasing out the older series...the SRW224G4
24x ports, plus 4x giga ports plus a pair of GBICs..plus pretty much the full suite of true managed abilities.

moetop said:

Powerconnect 2724

The Dell doesn't include the Gbics either; just the ports for the Gbics. But, you're right... I did omit Dell when I was doing some basic research.

Also, does a small biz really need SNMP? They don't really need a fully managed switch or SNMP... but, yeah... good advice!

Thanks!

on a sidenote... another thing that i don't like about the dell switches is that they're only 13" in length... this means that you have to use their big-ass ears to connect them to a rack and that just looks plain ugly... couldn't they use up the entire 1u slot?

RavinDJ said:
The Dell doesn't include the Gbics either; just the ports for the Gbics. But, you're right... I did omit Dell when I was doing some basic research.

Also, does a small biz really need SNMP? They don't really need a fully managed switch or SNMP... but, yeah... good advice!

Thanks!

No the dell doesent , but it's about $200 cheaper than the managed linksys.

Depends on what the Small Biz does or needs as to weather they need SNMP. In most cases probably not, but I just wanted to make sure you understood that. When people read managed switch they typicaly think SNMP.

Dont get me wrong I love Linksys equipment, I personaly own a lot of their stuff, but it's hard to beat the Dell 27xx series price for performance.

YeOldeStonecat said:
A fair comparison would be the model that's phasing out the older series...the SRW224G4
24x ports, plus 4x giga ports plus a pair of GBICs..plus pretty much the full suite of true managed abilities.

How would a 4 port Gig + 24 port 10/100 switch be a fair compairson to a full 24 port Gig switch (Dell 2724). Sure the 2 fiber ports are sharred with the last 2 copper ports so you can only use 1 or the other, but that's minor compared to all the ports being GIG..

Madwand said:
I see SNMP mentioned in the SRW2024's data sheet. Did you have something more specific in mind?

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...690529&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

My Mistake!!!!! The Linksys does have SNMP. The product page on CDW that the OP linked does not show SNMP, as well as Linksys's main page for the switch also does not. That is a huge mistake on mine and their part. I would consider SNMP well worth the extra $200 as well as a priority item to list on the front page of the product page..

Sorry about the misinformation.

why would a small business need SNMP? also, why is SNMP actually worth the $200?

i didn't purchase the switch yet... i told them i need to do a little more research.

SNMP is great for monitoring programs. How often do you find yourself trying to figure out why traffic seems slow? Well then break your your snmp monitoring tool like cacti and see what the throughput is on each port. Point to who is causing the trouble and correct it. Wonder if you need to upgrade that backbone switch to something higher end? How will you know for sure until you can point to the actual data proving the switch isn't handling the current data?

I purchased an HP Procurve 24 port that is great. I've set it up with 6 ports on one vlan and the other 18 on a second. This has been helpful to split up the servers on their own vlan without having to purchase a second switch.

deuce868 said:
SNMP is great for monitoring programs. How often do you find yourself trying to figure out why traffic seems slow? Well then break your your snmp monitoring tool like cacti and see what the throughput is on each port. Point to who is causing the trouble and correct it. Wonder if you need to upgrade that backbone switch to something higher end? How will you know for sure until you can point to the actual data proving the switch isn't handling the current data?

I purchased an HP Procurve 24 port that is great. I've set it up with 6 ports on one vlan and the other 18 on a second. This has been helpful to split up the servers on their own vlan without having to purchase a second switch.

Good points for the need for SNMP. The linksys also supports rmon which adds to the who is doing what when info.

FYI the dell supports Vlaning.

Looks like it's about $100 more than the dell, but for a lifetime warrenty I would say it's well worth it.

Do they have any with SNMP in the under $500 range like the linksys?

I have to agree on the HP switches, they are extremely solid. You cannot go wrong with an HP but the Dell's are excellent as well.

What do you guys think of the Netgear GS724T??? I still haven't purchased the switch, but I'm looking to do it this weekend (argh... I hate delaying it, but I'm also waiting for my American Airlines credit card, so that I can get the miles for it and get fully reimbursed for the switch (ie. free miles)).

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=625154

Thanks!!!

I'd say it looks exactly the same as a D-Link and an Asante I've got, and it probably is.

markintosh13 said:
I'd say it looks exactly the same as a D-Link and an Asante I've got, and it probably is.

Ummm... do you like them??? Any problems with them??? :p

Racked em, linked em up, plugged stuff in, it works.

Throughput is fine, mini-gbics work fine, no probs.

oakfan52 said:
Why doesn't anyone conside HP? There is areason they are the #2 seller behind Cisco. They make the best bang for your bunk switches. and they have a lifetime warranty. We are a large enterprise and we are moving away from Cisco everywhere except the core.

The 1800 line looks interesting, and the 8-port one is even passively cooled (like Dell's 2716 but unlike Linksys's corresponding SRW2008). Thanks for the info; maybe I'll be able to justify migrating to one of these myself some day.

Back