Need to move data & maintain permissions/shares

JPS

2[H]4U
I have a client running a Dell 400SC Server that acts as a fileserver and a DC for their office - there are three client PCs hanging off of it. They have decided to add a RAID1 arrary for data storage in the server, as well as start running nightly incrementals and weekly image backups of the data.

I have installed and formatted the array, but wanted to double-check on the most efficient manner to get the data off of the old hard disk and onto the array. I would like to maintain all of the file/folder attributes and permissions as well as keep the shares intact.

I am a little rusty on Windows 2000 Server, which is the host OS in this case, and have more experience in the *nix world.

My first thought was using something like xcopy in the following manner:

Code:
xcopy f:\*.* s:\ /e /h /k /o /x

Once all of the data was copied in this manner, I would then change drive letters on the logical drives and hopefully be set. But it is never that easy...

I tried that on a small batch of test data and it seemed to work although none of the shares were initiated on the new data storage.

Is there a better tool to do this? What about getting the shares correct?

robocopy is what I use to copy all my data ( and I move hundreds of gig's weekly). It copy's what ever you tell it to . Date/Time attrib, file ownership, acl's, etc. Its in the resourcekit in W2K I think.

Forgot about that one - thanks much for the suggestion. Just to be clear, would the sequence be as follows:

1) Change drive letter on source partition, say from F to T
2) Robocopy data from source to RAID1 Array
3) Change drive letter on RAID array back to F
4) Nuke source partition

I don't think that you can automagically re-create the network shares on your destination with a copy command. My one thought would to be to configure Windows DFS on the old server which will point the existing shares to the new array.

I don't think that you can automagically re-create the network shares on your destination with a copy command. My one thought would to be to configure Windows DFS on the old server which will point the existing shares to the new array.

Is that really needed in an environment where there are three PCs connected the server and each PC has a single user? There are just not that many shares or many that are that complex. Infact, every single share I have looked at while prepping for this grants full control to everyone (I know, I know, security nightmare). I am starting to think the easiest solution might just to robocopy the physical data files ensuring the permissions and attributes are intact and then siomply reset the shares by hand. They must only be 10 -16 of them total.

Back