Need to know common fastener information (length, diameter, etc.)

I'm not that well versed in mechanical trades, but I know that many of you are.

I'm putting my PC together, and I need to use various screws, but I don't know where to start, or what to get.

I've got a couple of MCR320 radiators that I need to attach fans to. The thread of the screws will need to pass freely though the fan's mounting and attach to the radiator. It doesn't seem very wise to thread through the fans and the radiator (not that you even could -- I think the two are different size holes. Swiftech doesn't mention what length you can go without puncturing the rad, so the shorter the better. I don't know what screws to get.

Contact Swiftech. They'll tell you.

I can also email Gabe and ask him.

It's M3.5 but depending on the fans you have to mount to your rad.

Some fans are solid from intake to outake and require longer screws....
35-119-032-02.jpg

Or have a space like this where you can use shorter screws....
35-119-045-05.jpg

You may need to make a coulpe trips to hardware store the find the right lengths..consider spacers if all your finding is still not working!

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
I'm now wanting to install my EK multires, but the screws wont fit my motherboard tray. They need to be drilled lager and tapped. What's a general guideline regarding drill bit diameter relative to the threaded diameter you plan to create?

The screws you need to attach a 25mm (regular thickness) fan to a radiator are:

1 1/4" (one and 1 quarter inch) long with a 6-32 thread. Home Depot carries these.

Also, as long as the screw you want t tap is CLOSE to the size of the current threading, you can re-tap the already threaded hole with the new threading...

I normally jam the 8-32 tap through a previously tapped 6-32 hole (which is drilled with a 7/64" drill bit btw). Convert the fractions to mm, and choose a hole that's 1mm smaller than the overall diameter of the tap (check Wiki).

The screws you need to attach a 25mm (regular thickness) fan to a radiator are:

1 1/4" (one and 1 quarter inch) long with a 6-32 thread. Home Depot carries these.

Also, as long as the screw you want t tap is CLOSE to the size of the current threading, you can re-tap the already threaded hole with the new threading...

I normally jam the 8-32 tap through a previously tapped 6-32 hole (which is drilled with a 7/64" drill bit btw). Convert the fractions to mm, and choose a hole that's 1mm smaller than the overall diameter of the tap (check Wiki).

Thanks a lot, buddy. That's about the clearest explanation I've gotten anywhere.
When converting fractions of inches to millimeters, is 8-32 the same as 8/32"?

Do I want an 8-32 thread for the EK multires?

I'm using stacked radiators, so the lengths will be different. I think I'll be using a 25mm fan with a 25mm shroud between the radiators, so I'll need different lengths between the two radiators.

Last edited:
Apparently, I can't use my Yate Loons with my radiator stack, as they are a closed corner design. :(

Now I've got the go out and get some good, open corner fans.

Yates come in open corner models as well.

To mount an open corner fan to a radiator, you'll need 8 (per fan) screws that are 3/8" in length, also 6-32 thread.

Home depot, etc, etc.

Here's the catch though... You need a set of 90 degree screw drivers to screw them in... Unless you use thicker (38mm for example) fans.

Do Yates come in 38mm varieties? How can I make sure that I order open corner yates?

Would you recommend that I keep the closed corner fans for case fans and order open corner for may radiators, or would I be better off cutting these to open corner?

Edit: is 8-32 the same as 8/32"?

First 8/32 8-32 8,32 are all the same

why again are you using 8-32 screws?

there is no need for a 90deg screwdriver (been a mechanic for 40 years and only used one 2 times)

use a #1 or smaller Phillips screwdriver through the top hole...(as long as you use a phillips screw) I use PS screws for fans like that..(some PS screws are a bit longer, the short ones wont work)
Picture029.jpg

there is no need for a 90deg screwdriver (been a mechanic for 40 years and only used one 2 times)

i think the reason he needs a 90 degree screw driver is cuz hes sandwiching the fans between 2 rads. he can get the fans into one rad like in the pic you showed, but then not for the rad on the other side. thats where you use the supplied plastic rivets monkey. or you can use short screws and a 90 degree screwdriver.

sorry, im old and mis read most things...
(thanks ekuest)

1 other tidbit screws can go completely through the fins(if you have to bend 1 or 2 or even remove 1 or 2 it will not affect the rad, just careful not to damage the tube) but if you damage the tubes its gonna leak. Also make sure the tube is not behind the screw hole, if it is and you use a too long screw leaks will happen.

Thanks everyone. I believe I've got it figured out for the most part, or am at least to the point where I can figure the rest out as I go.

Just waiting on a few last parts, then I'll sleeve, and this build will be done

Back