• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need to find wall-mountable speakers

aNtHrAx323

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 10, 2000
Messages
2,646
I've finally settled into my new place, with which came a loft that is now my office (God damn it's nice having my bedroom completely seperated from my computer stuff). Now, in the process of making it the ultimate workspace, I am in a dilemma finding a suitable sound system. There was, once upon a time, a computer speaker setup that perfectly catered to my needs in the form of Cambridge Soundworks' 4.1 setup, however, nothing seems to fit the bill these days. The criteria are very simple:

  • Standard speaker wire terminals (you know, the positive/negative clips with non-proprietary connectors)
  • Wall-mountable (I don't want to ghetto-fab any mounts if at all possible)
  • Balanced sound (clean highs, solid bass, rich midrange)
  • 4.1 (I have *NO* need nor desire for a center channel)

I spent about an hour looking around Best Buy and CompUSA and can't find a single set that meets my needs. The closest at this point are the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's (and they don't meet 3 out of the 4 above criteria... they'd end up being simply high-quality desktop speakers - that's how crappy my luck is thus far). Does anyone have any tips? The office is becoming a work area and lounge hybrid, so clean sound at low volumes is essential. Thanks in advance!
 
What's the budget?

You can look at partsexpress.com for their in-wall solutions, and I've seen Infinity is making some very nice Planar speakers again. They're available via Crutchfields.
 
The budget is (ideally) around the $200 mark. If I need to pay more to achieve what I'm looking for, I can definitely do it, but I'm spending a good amount of money on lighting and other decorative crap for the room so hopefully I can keep it on the moderately inexpensive side.
 
You want four good wall mountable speakers for $200?

Eep. Er, well...good luck.
 
Heh, yeah, it sounds a bit outrageous, but I really do.

Well, I think I might spend $250 and get a set of refurbished Klipsch 5.1's. Does anyone have any experiences with Klipsch's refurbished products? I think they'd fit the bill, provided that they don't die within a week.

*edit* Dammit, last night they were available on Klipsch's site, now they're not (out of stock). Talk about bad timing.
 
I'm not a real fan of the Klipsch ProMedia sats. I do like their Synergy and RSX units. I also have used the Quintets, and those would work in a mid sized room nicely. Plus the stands reverse into swivel wall mounts. The package includes all 5 sats. All you'll need is a sub and receiver, and you're set.
 
Back
Top