Need to determine the IP address of a router

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a router that in the past I used as an access point. I need to extend my wireless coverage again so I pulled it out of the closet and plugged it back into the downstairs hub where I originally had it.
I know my WPA password so connecting to it and getting on the net are not a problem.

The problem is I don't know what the IP address of that router is so i'm unable to log in and configure it. Any ideas on how I would find this out? I know it's not the default IP address as I changed it. And I wrote down the IP address I changed it to however i'm unable to login to it via that address. Perhaps I changed it again at some point, I don't know.

plug into one of the wired ports. Look up the what the gateway IP is on your computer. The gateway IP is usually the same as the router's IP.

That or just hard reset and it will go back to the default IP

You could always do a reset (with the button), and have it go back to factory settings, and reconfigure it that way. If it offers that (most do).

Otherwise, you could try something like Solarwinds or something. Network scanner that scans all IP addresses to find hosts and open ports. nmap would work, too.

I did a hard reset to get back to factory defaults and that was unsuccessful. I know the default IP address from the user manual but it didn't work. I'll try the other methods you suggested.

Edit - There is no default gateway showing up. I tried 2 different computers to access this router and there is no default gateway showing on either of them. It's the only field that is blank.

Last edited:
I did a hard reset to get back to factory defaults and that was unsuccessful. I know the default IP address from the user manual but it didn't work. I'll try the other methods you suggested.

Edit - There is no default gateway showing up. I tried 2 different computers to access this router and there is no default gateway showing on either of them. It's the only field that is blank.

Probably have to hold that reset button down longer..combined with holding it in during power off or power on (depending on the make/model) If it indeed is a wireless router, it will default to running in gateway mode, DHCP enabled (so you'll need to /renew your PC once you reset it), and once you factory reset it it will hand out an IP that includes its LAN IP as the gateway, and DNS. Do it hard wired in, not wireless.

I'm curious to know if your ARP cache would have it listed.

Go to the command prompt and type "arp -a".

thats weird that it's not showing the default gateway. time to purchase a new one!

thats weird that it's not showing the default gateway. time to purchase a new one!

it probably didn't actually reset.
and since it's configured as an AP, it's DHCP would be turned off; therefore, the PC would get an IP and default gateway from the main router that's dishing out DHCP.

OP, I would also recommend attempting the arp -a before trying to reset it again.

The arp -a command didn't work. It worked and I got ip addresses, just not the one I needed.

However I did resolve the issue. A hard reset with the manufacturers instructions didn't work. Which stated to hold down the reset button for 10 seconds.

So I held down the reset button and unplugged the router and plugged it back in and that worked. So all is well now.

Back