need to connect my cisco 3500 to my netgear fs524 - help

T

troyquigley

i have a cisco catalyst 3500xl (48 port) 100base
i have a netgear fs524 (24port)

they are about 200 feet away from each other.

i was wondering why i cannot plug port 47 (cisco) into port 23 (netgear)
&
port 48 (cisco) into port 24 (netgear)

when i do this. ALL the lights on my cisco switch start blinkning and the network goes down.

KaosDG said:
are you using link aggregation on the switches?
the netgear is a unmanaged switch.

how can i tell if my cisco switch is setup for "link aggregation" ?

do both switches have to support "link aggregation"?

Looking at it's specefication sheet for the netgear, it doesent support Spanning Tree or Link Aggreation, so you can only use 1 port for interconnectivity. I dont think I have ever seen an unmanaged switch that supports Link Aggregation. (so the answer is yes they BOTH have to support it)

Link Aggregation would have allowed you to combine the 2 links to act as one doubling your throughput.

Spanning tree would block one of the ports and could act as a backup link.

The reason all the lights come on is because you created a loop. It's the same bunch of packets flying around in a circle. 1 link should be fine unless you need extra bandwidth.

moetop said:
Looking at it's specefication sheet for the netgear, it doesent support Spanning Tree or Link Aggreation, so you can only use 1 port for interconnectivity. I dont think I have ever seen an unmanaged switch that supports Link Aggregation. (so the answer is yes they BOTH have to support it)

Link Aggregation would have allowed you to combine the 2 links to act as one doubling your throughput.

Spanning tree would block one of the ports and could act as a backup link.

The reason all the lights come on is because you created a loop. It's the same bunch of packets flying around in a circle. 1 link should be fine unless you need extra bandwidth.
thank you very much for the help. now i know. oh well.

Back