Need to change the IP on a clustered server.

Jarod888

2[H]4U
Our corporate office gave us a new range of IP's to use. We need to change the IP on our clustered server. The OS is windows 2003 server. An attempt was made last night, however there were several error messages, one saying something along the lines of " if you attempt this, the entire cluster will be destroyed" At that point the network admin backed out and left everything as is.
Does anyone have a procedure for this, and some experience? If more info is needed, I will try to provide it.

Thanks in advance.

What is running on cluster? Extra work is involved if it's SQL Server.

I've only had to do it once, but this is what I did. Stopped the cluster service on both nodes. Change the IP on the public adapters for both nodes. Restart the cluster service on both nodes. Then open Cluster Admin and connect to '.' without the quotes. Then edit the IP Address resource and make sure it's using the new network.

Thank you for the info. There is a file and a print server running on the cluster. The issue is more complex than I thought. Not only is there a need to change the IP, there is a need to change the subnet, however each of them needs to be different.

Back