Need to build 12 Systems, Please Help!

are you going to support these systems once built? if not go with an OEM or someone..... unless they will fix / RMA broken parts and such.

god I hate led lit cases.
Really? The way they had them setup was cool, the multi-colored lights looked VERY nice in the dark when we'd all play. It wasn't completely dark, but there was just enough light. Them being where everyone could see them and right next to each other made them look really cool, sort of like the arouraborialis.

aurora borealis? but yea I guess if you set it up right it could be cool. But other than indicator lights I don't really like them personally. Looking at my monitor after waking up is like looking at the sun as it is. Sensitive eyes you see....(brightness set to 0 btw).

[LYL]Homer;1032215345 said:
A nice aluminum case for a gaming center? I think not, they will need something that can take a little bit of abuse. Stick with steel.

OP - you seem a little discombobulated here. I suggest doing your homework on the hardware and getting a clear idea on what you want out of this. Also, are you going to be providing support for these PC's, what is your warranty? On the server side - are you setting this up, do you know what you are doing?

I don't mean to poop on your opportunity, but some of the questions you are asking here are setting off my alarm bells.

I have to agree on the cases. But, they will be sitting up on top of the tables and/or cubicles so that abuse wiil not take place. Besides this is going to be a family bussiness were all will be watched carefully so that there is no abuse, foul language etc.

Yes, I will be supporting the systems as far as the builds are concerned. I have built many and do not have a problem in that area. On the server side - I will not be setting this part of it up. I have an IT proffessional who is a close friend that will help me with this.

I am still looking for a server build though and I am looking for suggestions as I originally posted..

As far as being discombobulated and doing my homework. Well, This is why I posted here in the first place. To get ideas and plenty of suggestion, Which I have to thank everyone who has replied to my post and helping me with this!!

Here's another setup to consider:

$80 - Antec NSK4480 mid-tower ATX case with EarthWatts 380W PSU
$3 - Kingwin F-01B 3-pin (mobo) or 4-pin (Molex) 80mm case fan (for NSK4480 - shipping discount for multiple purchases)
$95 - Asus P5K SE Intel P35 ATX (free shipping)
$125 - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 retail package (free shipping)
$53 - Corsair XMS2 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800 kit (free shipping)
$49 - Western Digital WD1600AAJS 160GB SATA/300 hard drive
$18 - Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM SATA drive
$180 - BFG 9600GT (free shipping when you buy two or more)
=====
$603 - Subtotal (not including shipping)

You have a relatively cheap yet effective gaming machine for around $600. Shipping will be the unknown factor, but with some items having no shipping fees and some items with volume shipping discounts, it shouldn't be too bad (hopefully).

tiraides,

I have to say that I agree with your build here. It seems pretty solid as well as the case itself. As long as this system can handle all the games out there today. Then we are looking good..

I tried calling Microsoft today to find out about multi-user license but there Product Info. Center is on Saturdays.

There are some problems with your build though. He wanted you to pick specific brands, I mean yeah you saved money but I am guessing they have some kind of advertising niche. Other than that I would say good build.

You are correct. Advertising is essential here. That is all being worked out with some of the MAJOR brands. Something else that will hopefully be offered once bussiness takes off will be purchasing system builds of your choice of products and system cleanings as well...

Well, if you're going to go that route, why not just get a bunch of inexpensive Dell Inspirons and add a 8800GT and a couple extra gigs of ram? You can get one with a 24" monitor and Q6600 for about $700 shipped. Another $200-250 for VC and memory and you're set. You also get the advantage of a big monitor, quad core, warantee, copy of Windows, and not having to build it yourself. You could probably get a bulk discount as well.

Fenris,

This was already considered by the owner. As stated in one of my post's here the owner had received a quote from Best Buy as well. All though this is an easier way out and god knows the work as well. But, considering that they are writing letters and calling some MAJOR brands for there support and sponsorship and if that works out to be a plus, Then the hard work will be worth it.

You also posted that most people don't like Dell. I happen to like Dell. I own a Dell XPS gaming laptop myself and like it alot when I am traveling or just sitting in the backyard chugging a few beers, lol. But, At this very moment i am working off of 2 custom built desktop's, cleaning another that is full of trojans for a friend and a new build on the slab waiting for parts... But that is just me...

Ok all,

I need to start looking at a server configuration that is going to be totally upgradable as time goes by..Please keep in mind that we will be starting out in a T1 connection and upgrade as time goes by to a T2, T3 if neccessary. This server will also be running a Website Domain & Forum.

Scenario 1 - All 12 pc's will have to work from this server, so stress is a factor.

Scenario 2 - In the near future this bussines has to offer remote gaming, Purchase products, Computer repair at location ect... Maybe even Web hosting...

Please, again lets start from the basics and work our way up.

Thanks again to all who have responded!!!!

edit: scroll down for diffrent setup with OP diff budget.

perhaps you should get this setup for each computer:
$90 P35 Motherboard
$70 E2160 Processor
$27 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
$45 G. Skill 2x1gb DDR2 800mhz
$39 Western Digital Caviar 80gb 8mb cache
$50 Antec Earthwatts 430w
$30 Optical Drive
$170 9600gt 512mb
$40 COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330
=$561

-p35 motherboard good budget motherboard
-e2160 good budget processor with good ocing abilities
-artic cooler is cheap and can help oc the e2160 to 3.0ghz
-2gb is good enough
-80gb should be good enough to store games
-antec earthwatts is a good budget brand psu
-basic optical drive is all thats needed
-9600gt 512mb is the new mid range card that will fit in the budget. its capable of playing most games out right now at highest settings except crysis which no card can handle on its own or even sli... if you have about $40 more dollars move up to the 8800gt.
-case is good budget from good brand. ventilation on side and 120mm rear fan. if you can find another case with intake and outake thatll be ideal.

I'd stay away from overclocking any cpus' given where these are going.Get something a little bit faster to compensate.I wouldnt give a penny to Dell.

I agree with tiraides build, but with cheaper, Corsair Value memory, and E2200, if it is quite a bit cheaper.

Ok all,

I need to start looking at a server configuration that is going to be totally upgradable as time goes by..Please keep in mind that we will be starting out in a T1 connection and upgrade as time goes by to a T2, T3 if neccessary. This server will also be running a Website Domain & Forum.

Scenario 1 - All 12 pc's will have to work from this server, so stress is a factor.

Scenario 2 - In the near future this bussines has to offer remote gaming, Purchase products, Computer repair at location ect... Maybe even Web hosting...

Please, again lets start from the basics and work our way up.

Thanks again to all who have responded!!!!

I am looking for someone with server experience that can guide me in the correct direction for a very solid build. Budget for this build is $3000.00.

Tbh I would tell your friend to save all of this money put it in a mutual fund and he would have a better chance at getting rich compared to this business idea. I have seen at least 3 or 4 of these all fail within a year due mostly to the fact that upkeep is crazy expensive, people don't want to pay to game when they have a gaming rig at home, hard to fill seats etc. I know I just picked up a bunch of posters from the one that closed in my college town after 2 semesters of being in business. Basically this isn't korea where you can have a bunch of slow computers that can play starcraft and warcraft 3 and just rake in the money without really upgrading.

If you are that dependent on your server though I would not custom build one. Get a Dell, HP whatever and a good service plan as you don't want to have to wait when that motherboard dies or a stick of ram goes bad. This is your business and you need that thing running solid so don't cut any corners. Also make sure it has a gigabit connection to the lan etc etc.

What software are you guys using to determine hours and payrate and all of that?
http://www.smartlaunch.net/webpages/ is what the company that closed used to manage all of the headaches of deploying new games etc.

I wouldnt give a penny to Dell.

totally agree with that. on two of my first and only dell purchases ive had all sorts of issues. gift cards not coming in, ram being downgraded without telling me, software no coming in exchange, etc. but in the end their mistakes sort of helped me. i got a free $100 gift card on my desktop. i was supposed to get $100 but received $200 so thats cool. gained a $25 profit from debating with dell over my ram downgrade that i wasnt aware of. so in all its all good. just finished another 2week debate so now within 2 weeks i should be receiving a $150 gift card that i was promised. originally $200 but they're giving me $150 gift card and i had to correct them so $50 went to dell credit card, because after all its dell customer service that im dealing with. :-/ once everything goes in im off to buying a ps3... from dell... and getting cod4 for sure and maybe a game or blue ray movies.

Server you want stability and fast I/O if a gaming rig

so i would start with either SuperMicro or Intel based server board (Tyan is good but they can have some flakey issues)

from there determins how manyy games you want to run at once or what the server will do primarily and decided on the harddrive subsystem, raid arrays? def multiple drives..

a good server i would think will be anywhere from $2-3k for one to host multiple games , failes, website and such and most of that will go to good harddrive raid controllers for fail over, last thing you want is to have to close shop due to the server dieing or something..

Also, UPS's? power back up... things like that?

totally agree with that. on two of my first and only dell purchases ive had all sorts of issues. gift cards not coming in, ram being downgraded without telling me, software no coming in exchange, etc. but in the end their mistakes sort of helped me. i got a free $100 gift card on my desktop. i was supposed to get $100 but received $200 so thats cool. gained a $25 profit from debating with dell over my ram downgrade that i wasnt aware of. so in all its all good. just finished another 2week debate so now within 2 weeks i should be receiving a $150 gift card that i was promised. originally $200 but they're giving me $150 gift card and i had to correct them so $50 went to dell credit card, because after all its dell customer service that im dealing with. :-/ once everything goes in im off to buying a ps3... from dell... and getting cod4 for sure and maybe a game or blue ray movies.

our company has dropped well over, $200k with dell, myself alone in the $30k range, never had an issue, i do most all my ordering via small buisness, their systems and people seem muich better them home / home office, i was sent a $100 gift card just for being a customer.

Back