Need to access owner documents on another install.

Komataguri

2[H]4U
My XP screwed up.

I didn't want to risk screwing up teh drive itsef because it has alot of data that I want to keep and didn't want to risk loosing it.

However, all this information is in the My Documents and Settings\Owner folder, and I can not access that folder from the other install of XP.

Is there any way I can get into the other installs Owner folder so I can access my data so I can burn it and copy it over?

Installing a new copy over the old one won't work, tried it, for some reason it just gets stuck in a random loop at boot.

What error are you getting?
Were they encrypted?

You may need to take ownership of the files.

create and use THIS

It's a bootable XP installation on CD. It will allow you to grab whatever files you need from any drive as long as the filesystem isnt hosed.

I put a second harddrive into the computer and installed XP onto that drive, I can see the other drive and access all the files on it.

I just can't get into the Owner's files on the other harddrive. It says Access Denied, and I can't log into that install to get the files.

Theres no way I can get around the security and just access the files from this install? :-\

As an admin, go to the other hard drive's security panel and (in the advanced options, I think) assume ownership of the drive (and all subfolders, etc, etc). Then you'll be able to reset the security options and access the files.

lomn75 said:
As an admin, go to the other hard drive's security panel and (in the advanced options, I think) assume ownership of the drive (and all subfolders, etc, etc). Then you'll be able to reset the security options and access the files.

How do I do that?

Okay, I can access the folder.

I found info on ownership in the microsoft knowledge base [ How about that, they were useful for once ]

However, it only gives me permission to the folder, evne if I select th option to apply it to all subfolders and files in the folder.

There are literally, thousands of files in my owner folder that I want to save, is there anyway I can do the mass ownership over the files that actually works?

EDIT

I'm an idiot, after dealing with it for 3 hours... the option to do it suddenly appeared before my eyes after posting.

Anyways.

THANKYOU EVERYONE!

I don't know what I would have done if I couldn't have gotten my data back, alot of it is very precious...family photos and movies that I took digitally and had no backup for.

Yes yes, I know about backups... I was two days away from making my next backup when my computer went skitzo.

Back