Need tiny/low power PC for VOIP/Media/Printer server

GreenMonkey

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 25, 2006
Messages
2,159
Hey folks

I want to build or purchase a SFF, low power type system. It's going to be used as a Magicjack VOIP. TVersity, printer and file server.

Personally, I really prefer something very small. I don't need a lot of HDD - only a few gigs of MP3s and maybe a few gigs more of video/pictures/etc. I can always drop a 500GB in it later. The smaller it is, the higher I can put it, so my 2 yr old isn't flipping it off like my main PC. This will run my Magicjack phone also, so I need it to run close to 24x7, so cheap on the power bill is good.

I was leaning towards buying the newer Shuttle KPC case and a super cheap Celery chip. Pretty slick.

Right now I have laying around:

2x1GB of DDR2 (PC2-5300) - $7 AR special
My old ATX socket 754 system with a Venice 3400+ and 2GB DDR. Both are worth decent money on ebay which is where they may go.

80GB IDE 3.5" HDD
A USB Xbox HD-DVD drive

I liked the look of the KPC because I could always hook up the xbox HD-DVD drive via USB once in a while if I needed optical.

But the slimline HP PC (like in the thread on the forum here) look good too. I'm REALLY busy, so prebuilt with OS installed saves me a lot of time and effort that I don't have.

Any other suggestions?
 
Back
Top