• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Super Audio-People Help

bencho

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
2,093
I am uber noob when it comes to audio. Still learning. You've probably seen me post about my dead Klipsch and whatnot.
This is my first and foremost site when it comes to most things techie. I usually try here before I hit AVS. If I should post there instead, lmk. I'll post my questions in list form so it's easier to read/answer if you quote them.

So I have a dead 5.1 Ultra. The amp is dead and it'll cost around $120+shipping to get it fixed. I have the amp right next to me and I can't see any scorched pcbs or busted caps or resistors. The only symptom: plug in power, turn on, fuse explodes and smokes. They are 8" and are linked together by power and ground wires. The bare ends are slotted to plug into the amp.

Can I reuse the two subs?

Is there any way to use them without the amp? How will they be powered? Do they even need power? Speakers just need a signal right?

Do I have to rewire/extend the leads out?

I guess I'd need a receiver for them?

How do I plug that big hole where the amp used to be? What material should I use? The screw holes are still there so I can probably reuse them after piloting the new material.

Should I try to make a new enclosure for them?

Thanks-
 
If it's instapopping fuses, you have a short somewhere.

IIRC Ultras are normal speakers and will work with another amp. You might want to verify this on their spec sheet or something, maybe post pics. If so, a receiver would work.

Amp...big hole...what? Pics? o_O
 
Seriously its just a short?!? God there's like a bahjillion things on this thing as far as I'm concerned. How do I start? It's need in a haystack for me :(

I sold the speakers already. They work fine when hooked up to a receiver.

I only have the sub left. The "hole" is where the amp fits.
 
Just a short that could be inside an IC...it would be extremely hard to track down without strong electronics knowledge and probably datasheets for the parts involved.

So is this like a normal sub where there's a big box and the amp is this metal thing that screws into the back? Because you could just buy a new sub amp. There shouldn't be holes in anything unless you've been modifying stuff, which is why I'm wondering what it looks like.
 
yes, the amp screws into the back. so when you take it out.. theres the hole where it fits. it's not a hole like anything unnatural to the design.

a new amp would probably cost an arm. seeing as its been discontinued for some time. repair is approx 120 and i dont want to spend the cash on it :(
 
Back
Top