Need suggestions

Moothead2

n00b
I'm looking to buy a new gaming mouse, keyboard and PC case and I have a few ideas but I'm looking for suggestions.

At the minute I'm thinking about getting the 3500DPI Razer Deathadder and either the Blackwidow or Lycosa for a keyboard. Any thoughts on these?

I'm looking not to spend too much and I'm in the UK also so sites like Newegg are useless to me unfortunalty :mad:

Thanks.

I replaced my Lycosa and Mamba with a K800 and G700 and have been thrilled with both products, software and hardware.

The Lycosa rubber finish comes off very quickly and leaves the keyboard looking very bad, and mine also didn't function very well -- constantly had to replug it in after keys stopped working.

The K800 feels great to type on, and looks great. It's wireless, so if you want a wired version, they have one.

I really dislike Razer software and think SetPoint is a much more powerful solution for gaming.

Don't know much about what is available in the UK (I have 2 friends in Scotland, I forget what website they use to buy their stuff). I'd go with Logitech over Razer for both mouse and keyboard, and for cases you have lots of options. Lian Li and Antec are safe choices.

The Deathadder would be a good choice but there's so many different mice out there... If you really notice any tracking issues you probably want to stay away from any laser mouse since non of them are perfect, but the Deathadder has excellent tracking (some would say too much because of the high lift off distance).

As for the keyboard, Valaire is right about the Lycosa you probably don't want to go that route, however, the black widow is newer and uses mechanical switches (Cherry Blue) which many of the forum members think make great keyboards, not much is known about it though. I'd personally stay away from Logitech keyboards because you pay a high price for membrane switches that feel very cheap.

Even though I don't personally find any problem with the K800, and find it more comfortable than any keyboard I've typed on in the past, I concede that there is a contingent of people that place high value on mechanical keyboards. That said, with my experience with Razer build quality, I would wait to see what other forum members think of the keyborad first before purchasing it, considering it also will not be cheap.

Yeah that's completely understandable, what you may be interested in doing is checking out local stores and seeing what the feel of other keyboards is like and decide from there... That's how I got my Kensington Slimtype (feels like laptop style keys, the non-chiclet ones).

I'd also recommend you do the same for a mouse, but I've never been able to get my hands on any good gaming mice at any store on display, so you may have a harder time with that, but the Deathadder definitely has a great feel! It's the best mouse I've gotten my hands on before, I'm only planning to buy the Zowie EC mouse instead (copy of the Deathadder really) to try something slightly different.

Yeah I agree with the mouse. Mice are highly personal tastes depending on hand size, and the like. I also agree its hard to find a store sometimes. I live in the northeast U.S. and don't have Frye's here. Best Buy is so hit or miss with regards to mice on display it is very frustrating. Most of the time they don't have any stock, and if they do, it's their cheaper mice on display, and the expensive mice in boxes. I had to take a chance with the G700 and resign myself to return shipping if I needed to return. Luckily my small mitts fit fine on its form factor.

Also, if the Mamba is on display somewhere, I think it's the same exact form factor as the DA if you can put your hands on that.

The only problem is, is that I live on the Isle of Man so it's near impossible to find a store that sells mice & Keyboards, nevermind gaming mice and Keyboards. Hell, there is only about 10 shops on the whole Island that sells games!

I'd really like to test out before I buy because like somebody said, mice really are personal preference.

I've spotted a BNIB Deathadder on eBay that ends in 5 days, hopefully I can win it at a good price. Otherwise, I can Buy it Now off an eBay seller for around $50 (Is this a good price?).

I've also spotted a G15 on eBay for about $85 and a Blackwidow for $110. Are these good prices and which one would you recommend? As for the K800, I can't find a wired version from any online UK shops and costs more than the Blackwidow. Please note that these are rough estimates coverting GBP to USD (My current keyboard is US layout).

Thanks for your replies.

My opinion on the G15 and gaming keyboards in general is that they are not necessary. I am a competitive person and play both FPS and MMO's and am absolutely fascinated with improving my control scheme at every opportunity, but I've never found it necessary to have a gaming keyboard's features, like extra buttons. Those keyboards tend to come at a cost: crappier actual keys for typing and comfort, and expense.

That said, I think gaming mice are highly valuable because they are just better mice in most respects and have mouesbinds that are valuable in any game.

So, if it were me, I would not consider the G15. If the Blackwidow strikes you as nice because it's mechanical and aimed at gamers, that at least has an angle for you (being mechanical).

I don't know how much DA's run for, Amazon has them listed for $45. People sometimes sell Mamba's used for around $50 in the WTS forum.

I don't know what your vendor restrictions are given your location. I did wikipedia your island because I think the name is awesome. Thanks for giving me a nice history overview to read while bored at work.

Avoid Razer. While the shape of the Deathadder is unequaled, the hardware and software are subpar. My front button has gotten loose, my wheel squeeks, and my feet make a scratching noise on the mouse pad. Sometimes, my mouse will just stop working, and I need to unplug and replug to get it to work again.

I do love the shape of the mouse, but I'm moving back to my Logitech MX518 after. Had the mouse for 5 years, and it's absolutely flawless. My only complaint is that the scroll wheel is a little recessed.

My preference:

Logitech MX518
mx518.jpg

Logitech Illuminated Keybard
logitech-illuminated-keyboard-11.jpg

Absolutely love the keyboard. The keys are very clicky and responsive, but completely quiet. The action is extremely comfortable. The keyboard also looks sleek as hell.

I've always been curious about mechanical keyboards though. I think I'd hate the noise...but I would like to try one of those Steelseries mechanical keyboards at some point.

I personally like my Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Fits my hand very nicely and a good performing sensor. I'm a low-sensitivity gamer so high-DPI means nothing to me.

My problem with the Deathadder is the stupid "infrared" LED they use for the sensor. This has no benefit that I've seen and gives the mouse an insanely high liftoff distance when paired with cloth pads. I got rid of that crap and put a standard red LED from some generic optical mouse and now liftoff distance is where it should be. If you know how to solder I would strongly consider doing this if you do decide to go with the Deathadder.

Well many people seem to dislike razer's quality, but I haven't had much luck with logitech.. My Deathadder has lasted me up until last week, and I bought that probably back in 2007? when it came out... I also owned an Mx518 before that, but that only last me a year until it died out.... My dad also owns a bunch of the logitech notebook mice and the switches wear out rather quickly (he doesn't even game).

The Microsoft IE 3.0 is similar to the Deathadder in shape and what I'm currently using. But for those of you who want more DPI and the Deathadder shape, maybe take a look at Zowie's EC offering. It's a Deathadder body with an Mx518 sensor (Or maybe slightly newer Avego)

As for the Logitech illuminated keyboard, I thought it had a decent feel, but I've heard that it has some really bad ghosting problems by pressing 2-keys or more.

I can only add to your last comment about the keyboard. I read about it having problems with a specific combination of simultaneous keypresses. I believe it was W+Shift+ something else. I can confirm they fixed this in the wireless version (K800).

As far as keyboard: Filco Tenkeyless. Don't screw around with anything else. It's pricey, sure, but it's the last keyboard you'll ever buy assuming you don't spill sludge in it. Like many here, I'm using Razor peripherals but am not thrilled with their build quality.

Mouse? Logitech is a good option, but there's also Steelseries and the like, too.

Back