Need suggestions on this setup. Pic

nbovk951

Limp Gawd

I am thinking of trying to provide wireless network for this property. There are exsiting buildings as you see. Future buildings coming near locations of visio pc's.

The property is outlined in green. In which I would like to be able to provide coverage for the entire property.
But maybe even just for the front half of the property as this will be running off of one
1.5mb satelite connection. I maybe suggest a second for the back half of the property later on.

What Im looking for is a complete setup to provide wirelss coverage.
Say I have the satelite and modem. and the main computer. Nothing else.

I was looking at something like this Or this but idk.

Im not looking to spend thousands. If I can get away with under $800 or so that'd be great.
Thanks in advance for any help

i have a client that owns a marina and the shop guys needed wireless for diagnostics tests when they were working on boats. we got the biggest db antena we could find (think everything was from Buffalo Technology), and mounted that on the 2nd story of the building, and ran it through some of the coax antena cable to a Buffalo router flashed with Tomato. This thing covers the whole marina and i would say is close to the 600 foot range.

that is really all the info i can give. some other pepole hopefully will chime in.

If you have power in various places, just setup 6-7 routers linked up by ethernet cables, all on the same ssid/channel.. keep the cables in conduit and under 100m and you should be okay. Should be well under $800, cables & routers.

if not.. like the above poster said, get a really big antenna. :)

Can you get height for a hi gain pole antenna? 1x good one can easily cover that area. I've done some outdoor Linksys/Cisco units (specifically designed for outdoors..with a fishing pole sized hi gain pole they have as an option). Did a golf course with on last year..doing another leg of the course this Friday.

Check this source out also for hi gain outdoor stuff..

http://www.fab-corp.com/home.php

Whats a good wireless access point for use with a large high gain antenna?
and what about the recieving end of it all. I would still like the computers in other buildings to be hard wired to another device. Another access point??

The EOC-3220EXT has an external 5dBi antenna that can be removed - it uses an RP-SMA connector. So you could get one as the access point and then use an external high gain antenna with that type of connector. If you have to use a pig tail between the AP and the antenna you choose, make sure you use as short of a cable as possible to minimize loss. Use the single unit in AP mode.

If you can't get the height to do a single high gain implementation you could always use a couple of those with high gain omni's positioned around the property. Use them in WDS mode and link them all together.

If it's easier for you to get power to the devices, you can use a couple of the directional antenna's set up around the property. That way you can run power along the fence or what-not. Again, use them in WDS mode and link them all together.

For the buildings you want wired connectivity in, use one of those in bridge mode and configure it to connect to the wireless network you configured. Run the ethernet cable to a good gigabit switch and you're good to go. Repeat for as many buildings as you want wired connectivity in. IF wired connectivity is more important in this situation and wireless is secondary, you could always run fiber between the buildings. You can do this with what they call "media transceivers" or "media converters" or get switches that have GBIC expansion capability and purchase the necessary GBICs. :)

So what about this setup
Linksys wap

POE

Antenna
This setup. Mounted on a pole. Possibly ontop of a building.
Think that will cover the area. or at least the front half of it. Needs to broadcast into the buildings to. (Only 1 or 2 walls)
yay...nay??

Why the move to Linksys? I think you had a better AP in this unit right here. The EnGenius unit is 400mW and includes a PoE unit; I can't find the transmit power for the Linksys and that's usually not a good sign.

Connect the EnGenius unit to the antenna you have listed there and mount it at a good height as close to the center of your coverage area as possible. Wall penetration might be possible but it all depends on the material used so hard to say. Worse case scenario is you buy another unit (by itself) and put it in bridge mode outside of the buildings you need wired access at.

I heard that the sma connection was far under that of the N connection type.
you think I should get the engenius and just get a sma to n cable so I can connect the N type antenna?

I guess for the price a could accully afford a couple more the the engenius'.
Thanks, guess I just needed to hear that for someone

You should be able to get good range out of that setup, depending on the height at which you mount the antenna. The higher you mount it, the larger the radius of coverage.

Height is no problem. How high do you suggest. 20ft? Should I mount it ontop of one of the buildings?

Height is no problem. How high do you suggest. 20ft? Should I mount it ontop of one of the buildings?
If you can't set up a tower, mount it on the side or the center most building at the peak of the roof. Make sure you run a good grounding line to protect the equipment. If the roof over-hangs the building you could mount the AP underneath the ledge to protect it from direct exposure. Use rubber weather-proof grommets to protect the metal interconnects of the wire-to-router and wire-to-antenna connection. If you can't find grommets in the required sizes, you could use weather-proof tape or heat-shrink tubing in a pinch.

isnt it best to have the wap and the antenna as near to eachother as possible? I was thinking about mounting the wap on the pole with the antenna. I can still build a box to protect the wap from the weather. Since we get hot summers and really cold winters here in michigan

isnt it best to have the wap and the antenna as near to eachother as possible? I was thinking about mounting the wap on the pole with the antenna. I can still build a box to protect the wap from the weather. Since we get hot summers and really cold winters here in michigan
Absolutely. I was operating under the assumption that you were going to mount the antenna upright, directly to the outward-facing fascia/side-runner board. If that is the case, since you have a 48" cable, you could easily mount the AP directly underneath it, under the overhang. That's of course assuming there is overhang to work with. If the roof is flush with the side of the house, you won't have that option.

Also note that it's best not to coil the wire - as this can create another antenna of sorts and introduce noise. With the cable you picked out this may not be a high risk, but with the risk of lightning it may still profit you to place the AP a little bit down the "pole" from the antenna. That way lightning follows the grounding line without frying/melting the AP.

Some great info there. thanks alot. I should be purchasing everything by tomarrow

Got the wap and the pci cards in today. antenna and other hardware should be coming soon.
I really hope I can get the range and penetration into the buildings with this setup.

Back