Need suggestions on new wireless N router/AP for fios customer...

jaypeezee

Gawd
I'm currently using an Actiontec MI424WR Router that was supplied by Verizon for my FiOS. I currently subscribe to FiOS - TV, Internet, and Telephone. I'm looking to upgrade my wireless network from a 'G' to 'N' network. I have some network experience and have never had any problems adding/replacing routers however, I believe my router needs to stay acting as one due to the digital cable boxes and telephone service ? Can anyone clear this up that has FiOS ?

I guess my question is how should I go about doing this and what router or access point would you suggest. I will have 2 wired computers one with a gigabit nic - I would love for the router to have it but not entirely necessary.

my price point is $100-150 - obviously less is better but if by spending more gives me more than I am not closed to ideas.

Some other questions that popped up while writing this are;

Will I see a speed decline if I use the actiontec to route and use an AP ? I ultimately would like the best possible experience/speed which method of setup is ideal?

Thanks.

do you mind explaining why you want to upgrade from G to pre-N? it would help understand what to recommend

Oh sorry...

Mostly due to range. Also, I just purchased a new laptop with N card built in and thought it would be a perfect time to take advantage. I do minimal gaming on the new laptop and the added speed/range would be an improvement (I think)...

Perhaps a dual freq router 2.4 and 5ghz.. However, currently I don't do a lot of streaming although with the new upgrade I might.

Currently my main use for all my computers is internet/file sharing over network.

Okay, I can help out here.

1. If you have TV, you need the Actiontec in the loop: It is a brdige between ethernet (data for guide service & VOD), and coax.

2. There are several ways of removing the Actiontec. Check DSL Reports, for all the info needed.

In the above link, the easiest solution to make your own router primary, and the Actiontec a brdige, is to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router, then call Verizon to reprovision your internet service to ethernet. This can be done via phone, but may take 2 days or so...

If all you are trying to do is get increased range via an N class router, disable wireless on the Actiontec, put the N router in brdige mode, and connect LAN to LAN

this would probably work perfectly as it fits all of your criteria!

LINKSYS WRT350N Draft 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b, 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3x, 802.3ab, USB 2.0 Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link - Retail $150 - $50 with coupon code EMCAKBKBB = $100 with free shipping

Saw this one, howeve tons of mixed reviews.... thanks though

Okay, I can help out here.

1. If you have TV, you need the Actiontec in the loop: It is a brdige between ethernet (data for guide service & VOD), and coax.

2. There are several ways of removing the Actiontec. Check DSL Reports, for all the info needed.

In the above link, the easiest solution to make your own router primary, and the Actiontec a brdige, is to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router, then call Verizon to reprovision your internet service to ethernet. This can be done via phone, but may take 2 days or so...

If all you are trying to do is get increased range via an N class router, disable wireless on the Actiontec, put the N router in brdige mode, and connect LAN to LAN

Thanks, I haven't been able to read through the page above but maybe if you know off the top of your head... Any real reason to completely remove the Actiontec ? or benefits....

If you have TV, you can't remove the Actiontec: you need to bridge from eth to Coax.

The real question is, what don't you like about the Actiontec? ie Lack of range, small NAT table, lack of VPN support, etc.

If you just want to get an N router for its range and maybe increased speeds, just setup the N in brdige mode plugged into the Actiontec (turn off wireless in the AT).

If you want a different router to handle all routing tasks follow the info in the link above

If you have TV, you can't remove the Actiontec: you need to bridge from eth to Coax.

The real question is, what don't you like about the Actiontec? ie Lack of range, small NAT table, lack of VPN support, etc.

If you just want to get an N router for its range and maybe increased speeds, just setup the N in brdige mode plugged into the Actiontec (turn off wireless in the AT).

If you want a different router to handle all routing tasks follow the info in the link above

Honestly, I never intended to get rid of the Actiontec, only curious. Lack of range is my number one complaint as I own a 3000sq ft home and I'm lucky to get 1-2 bars on my Notebook or PS3 downstairs...

I understand that with the new N router, it will not improve signal for my other G devices, mobile phone + ps3, however I am planning on centrally locating the router ...

Thanks

I just went through a similar ordeal.

You can get away with using the actiontec as a 'bridge', and using a router, however, the actiontec bridges IP over the coax for the cable boxes. This information carries the Guide and On Demand information. The problem I ran into, was that the On Demand will consume a lot of bandwidth.that most routers can't handle.

So, unless you have a reason to replace the actiontec, don't. If you are looking to add N to your network, you can attach an access point to the LAN connection of the actiontec router, with little to no slow downs.

Back