• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need suggestions on cpu/hsf

guitarguy6

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
1,948
Hey guys, I'm thinking of ditching my E6750 and Zalman cnps7700cu cooler. I'm debating between picking up an E8400, E8500, or Q6600. Which chip would be the best for overclocking. I've read a lot of good things about the E8400.

Secondly I want a good HSF to go with it. I've been looking into the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, the zalman 9500 or 9700, or the Thermaltake big typhoon.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
Well obviously it all depends on what you want.The e8400 is a good choice and you can get a real nice oc on it.But then again the e8500 is the same thing with a higher multiplier making it easier to oc higher.Then you have the q6600 which will be slower with apps that arent mulithreaded but aslong as you can get a g0 stepping you can oc it a ton.So it really all has to do with what budget you have and what you plan on doing.But one thing is if you are thinking about the e8400 or the e8500 then just go with the 8500 since its only a $20 difference.Now as far as cooler i have the xig s1283 and it works like a champ.I have my pc oced to 3.4 from 2.6 and it keeps the cpu at 51C during stress tests.And thats with a ambient temp of 27C and i still need to add some fans to my case.Plus i think i could get a few degrees cooler by reseting it.So yeah i typed to much but the point is e8500 for single threaded , q6600 for multithreaded and the xig s1283 for heatsink.

Oh and by the way dont go for the zalman coolers.They are to expensive and they arent the best performers.They make look better and are smaller but the xigmatek is a much better value.Also if you are going to be using the pushpins make sure which way the arrows are supposed to be pointing when pushing down.That will make make things so much quicker and easier.
 
Asked so many times already it's depressing.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1343537&highlight=e8400+e8500+q6600
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1341202&highlight=e8400+e8500+q6600
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1352920&highlight=e8400+e8500

If you are debating 2 vs 4 core may I suggest searching as there's almost 1 post regarding it posted every day.

S1283 out of that selection, again, many many many threads asking for HSF suggestions. And you need post your case to see what fits.
 
I couldn't really find a thread that said "you should get ______ cpu because...." I'm leaning towards the E8500 at this point. I was hoping that somebody here had a C2D and a quadcore and could post on which one felt like it ran the smoothest.
 
Well the e8500 will make windows and most apps in general run faster.I dont have a q6600 and a e8500 to compare but i will guarantee you that is the case.
 
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the E8500 and the xigmatek S1283. My case is the coolermaster 690 so there should be tons of room in there.
 
Yeah there will be.I have that case actually.Only thing is you wont be able to keep your top side fan.unless you know how to mount it outside the case.But everything should keep plenty cool even without that fan.Well hope everything works good.
 
Back
Top