• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need suggestions on amps

cc2096

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
1,670
I am looking into getting either DT880's or HD650's (or possibly K701's) here shortly, and I am curious about what to amp them with. My budget for an amp would be about $150-200. I am mostly going to be using them to listen to Rock/Metal MP3's through my X-Fi and gaming (mostly FPS). I currently a MisterX cMoy but i don't think that will have enough power to push those cans. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris
 
I think you will get A LOT more info from Head-fi.org since there are plenty of people that use these headphones and have experimented with amps and such with impressions already.
 
A Pimeta would be a good choice in that range and is a much more capable amp than the cMoy. It drove my HD600's very well.
 
aZn_plyR said:
I think you will get A LOT more info from Head-fi.org since there are plenty of people that use these headphones and have experimented with amps and such with impressions already.


Thanks for the link. Much needed.
 
pettybone said:
I just don't get amps. Almost every amp I see there is a 300% to 1000% markup(pure speculation). Amps have been around longer than I have been alive. I'm 25 now. Any suggestions on an amp that I might respect myself after buying?

Well I dunno how many buisness classes you've taken, but there are many other things to concider when discussing 'cost of a product'. Things like overhead (building, staffing, machines) all cost money on a regular basis, plus things like cost of order, quality control, etc.

So while it might be 'cheaper' to DIY an amp, and understand that the 'cost of parts' might be inexpensive but that's not the only thing to concider.

Anyway, even as such, the Gilmore lite is a fantastic amp and well worth the money. Sure there have been amps arround for the past 25 years, but a lot has changed since then. Unless you want to be listening to audio on vintage equipment and use a tube amp, then 25 year old amps probably aren't for you. The Gilmore lite is 100% solid state using very high quality parts in a premium housing. Simply said if you don't mind paying a premium for the best (at this price range anyway) then there isn't a reason to not get it.

However there are plenty of less expensive solutions that are good. You might concider contacting MisterX for solutions for DIY amps, or have him make you one in your price range. He's much more knowledgable about amps than I am for sure. Also resources like Head-fi can really help you out in this arena.
http://www.head-fi.org/

Anyway good luck.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
Well I dunno how many buisness classes you've taken, but there are many other things to concider when discussing 'cost of a product'. Things like overhead (building, staffing, machines) all cost money on a regular basis, plus things like cost of order, quality control, etc.

So while it might be 'cheaper' to DIY an amp, and understand that the 'cost of parts' might be inexpensive but that's not the only thing to concider.

Sure there have been amps arround for the past 25 years, but a lot has changed since then. Unless you want to be listening to audio on vintage equipment and use a tube amp, then 25 year old amps probably aren't for you.Simply said if you don't mind paying a premium for the best (at this price range anyway) then there isn't a reason to not get it.

Anyway good luck.

Buisness wise the only reason I see the prices for they are is for the fact there isn't a market for amps. At least not a market like a dvd player. The companies have to charge an arm and leg to stay in buisness. I am just guessing BTW. I guess thats all i have to say. I don't think I know enough about the subject to say anything else. I think I'll do with out. Thanks for the advice though.
 
Justin Wilson (HeadAmp) does great work. I own an AE-1 and have a GS-1 coming next week. They are built solid, power most any can, and sound great. The GLite is a good way to go if you can swing the cash.
 
I used a Mr.X Pimeta with HD 650's and DT 880 for a long while and was very happy.You would be hard pressed to find a better builder..Also if you are going to spend the money for a Senn HD 650 or the 701's then a $150 amp is workable, but once you hear your HPhones with a more capable amp then you might want to re-think..I did..
Kinda like having a $500 Video card with a slow processor
 
Back
Top