• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need suggestions for Video Card

choppedliver

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
479
Hey guys, I need some help, and u guys never have let me down in the past.

Im not a big gamer. I do like to play a game now and then. I have an ATI radeon 8500DV All in Wonder. I mainly got it for the TV. The problem is, that now I want to upgrade my video card,and to do that, I have to either get another all in wonder to get TV , or buy a separate TV card or competing all in one product ( are there any? )

Id like to go the latter route, so i dont have to upgrade my TV card again anytime soon.

I dont want to put an unrealistic budget limit on this, so if my price points are unreasonable , let me know.

But I definitely want a video card with dual DVI, Ive got a nice dell 20inch wide screen, and ill probably buy another. The latest shader technology would be nice. Id say $150-200 is the max i want to spend on that, but preferably as low as possible.

Id like a nice TV card, preferably with some kind of hardware compression so i can use it as a DVR and not tax my processor.

Id say $100- $150 is the max on that. There has been soooo many graphics cards since my radeon, that I dont even know where to begin. And as far as TV tuner/DVR stuff goes, I dont know what all is available, but I defnitely dont want to go the All in one route again due to upgrade hassles.

My PC does not have PCI-express, just AGP and PCI

Your comments and suggestions are as always much appreciated.
 
Oh i forgot to add. My radeon with my 32 bit Color 1680x1050 widescreen redraws the screen reallly slow. If i move it down to 16bit, it's nice and snappy. So whatever I get needs to be able to do dual 1680x1050 desktops with 32 bit color depth, and not drag ass doin it like my radeon is with one.
 
nice card, nice price. Dont really care for the analog out video. Any one else have any suggestions? Tuner ?
 
CleanSlate said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131227

Or you could look for a 9800pro 256bit version and hope you can find one for under 150.

~Adam

Did you mean 256 Meg Version? Seems like every card i look at has dual video but one is analog. Even my piece of shit radeon 7000 i had in my dell pc at work had dual dvi. it had one dvi connector and a y cable that broke it out into two video connectors.

Here is a 9800 Pro 256 meg for $133 is this the one u are referring too?
http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=VCPO-R98EPD3R&REFID=PG
 
Here are 3 caards with dual dvi connections that I believe fall in your price range.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321018

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321006


http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322989

As far as a tv tuner card, I have been reading that the pvr-150 is a good card to get and can be found for under $100. One of the wesites I've seen on the forums is pcalchemy.com. If you look in the htpc forum area, they have more information on these types of cards.
 
postalcop said:
Here are 3 caards with dual dvi connections that I believe fall in your price range.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321018

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321006


http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322989

As far as a tv tuner card, I have been reading that the pvr-150 is a good card to get and can be found for under $100. One of the wesites I've seen on the forums is pcalchemy.com. If you look in the htpc forum area, they have more information on these types of cards.

Hey thanks for the info. I think its gonna be the 9800 pro or the Geforce 6600, but not sure how the two compare. I cant find an ATI with dual dvi, so that might be what it comes down too.
 
choppedliver said:
Did you mean 256 Meg Version? Seems like every card i look at has dual video but one is analog. Even my piece of shit radeon 7000 i had in my dell pc at work had dual dvi. it had one dvi connector and a y cable that broke it out into two video connectors.

Here is a 9800 Pro 256 meg for $133 is this the one u are referring too?
http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=VCPO-R98EPD3R&REFID=PG


No the 256bit refers to memory bandwidth, there are 9800 "pro"s out there with half the normal 9800pro bandwidth being sold for cheap. It should say 256bit rather than 128bit on the page or you shouldn't buy it.

The 9600 series is a 4 pipe series whereas the 9800 series is an 8 pipe series and pipes dictate how much throughput you can have, more is better, generally. The 9600series has a high clock speed to make up for the low throughput abilities with half the pipes and bandwidth and it is a middle-low end card where as the 9800 series has a decent clock speed and good amount of throughput and it's a high-low end card these days.

It's very much worth it to get the 9800pro over the 9600pro because of the great performance jump between the two for not alot of cash.

~Adam
 
The 6600gt is faster than the 9800pro. Its basically comparing today's technology with older technology. The 9800 series was ATI's top of the line card up until last year and although the 6600 gt is considered a mid-rnage card, it's still faster than a 9800pro in most applications. Most people in the forums would suggest the 6600gt, I believe. I just purchased a MSI 6600gt with vivo to replace my 9600. I wanted the vivo for video editing. Can't wait till I get it. Good luck with your decision.
 
6600gt is a legitimate choice.

If you can find it for $150, get it over the 9800pro, it's about 10-20% faster

~Adam
 
CleanSlate said:
6600gt is a legitimate choice.

If you can find it for $150, get it over the 9800pro, it's about 10-20% faster

~Adam

Ok, thanks for the info, I think that pretty much cinches it for me... one more thing though. I remember one Geforce card was the but of everyone's jokes, it was huge, required too much power, was too loud, looked like a vacuum cleaner, etc.

Im gonna go surfing for a video card, and TV tuner...Ill be back :)
 
The 6600 and 6800 nvidia cards are not geforce. They are very much improved over the geforce cards.
 
This one:http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322989
and the one I linked you earlier(just realized I'd linked it twice) are both cheaper. The one I linked earlier is the same card you're looking at. It's initially $189 but it has a $30 mail in rebate. The difference between the PNY and XFX is that the XFX comes with more software. As far as which brand is better, don't know.
And I do think I know what you meant after reading again. I've been researching which card to get for the last couple of months both on the ATI side and Nvidia side. Been reading the forums, checking reviews and checking prices on various cards. I have not read one bad thing about the 6600gt. Everything has been positive. Can't wait to get mine.
 
postalcop said:
This one:http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322989
and the one I linked you earlier(just realized I'd linked it twice) are both cheaper. The one I linked earlier is the same card you're looking at. It's initially $189 but it has a $30 mail in rebate. The difference between the PNY and XFX is that the XFX comes with more software. As far as which brand is better, don't know.
And I do think I know what you meant after reading again. I've been researching which card to get for the last couple of months both on the ATI side and Nvidia side. Been reading the forums, checking reviews and checking prices on various cards. I have not read one bad thing about the 6600gt. Everything has been positive. Can't wait to get mine.


Sweeet. I think that might be "the one" :) Thanks dude. I tried ebay and people there are auctioning them off for more than i can buy it straight mail order. Go figure.
 
for 150 - 200 you coudl get a 6600gt or maybe a 6800 vanilla.

bfg 6800 OC is about 199 in some places.

try pricewatch.com
 
I tried ebay for the last month. The people who bid those high prices on a lot of the computer equipment have never heard of newegg, zzf, monarch, etc. You would think if they are smart enough to shop ebay, they would be able to do a google search to find an online store. :rolleyes:
 
postalcop said:
You would think if they are dumb enough to shop ebay... They'd of shot themselves by now :rolleyes:

Edited, now it's a QFT. BTW, what was said was for comedic purposes only, there are ... some... good deals on ebay.

~Adam
 
Maybe I misspoke. Yes there are a lot of good deals found on ebay. It just seemed that when I was looking at video cards, the prices were the same or higher than... ah, nevermind, I'm probably going to dig myself a deeper hole the more I type. Now I've gotten off topic. Sorry. Good luck to you choppedliver. Hope I had helped some.
 
postalcop said:
Maybe I misspoke. Yes there are a lot of good deals found on ebay. It just seemed that when I was looking at video cards, the prices were the same or higher than... ah, nevermind, I'm probably going to dig myself a deeper hole the more I type. Now I've gotten off topic. Sorry. Good luck to you choppedliver. Hope I had helped some.


You have all been helpful. So if I can find a 6800 Vanilla, for the same or very close price to a 6600 GT, would I be better off with that? I do not care about overclocking, hacking,modding, etc.

I just want to put it in the slot and run the damn thing. Which would be faster in that case?
 
postalcop said:
The 6600 and 6800 nvidia cards are not geforce. They are very much improved over the geforce cards.
They are GeForce cards. :p

Just not GeForce "FX" cards. FX = failed/expired ;)
 
choppedliver said:
Thanks for that, I knew I wasnt crazy
No problem. And to answer your previous question: A 6600GT would probably do fine (it does for me), but getting your hands on a 6800 or 6800GT would be better.
 
DejaWiz said:
No problem. And to answer your previous question: A 6600GT would probably do fine (it does for me), but getting your hands on a 6800 or 6800GT would be better.

Seems like the price point isnt much different having done some lookin around. Whats $50 bucks really
 
too bad you have to have dual dvi....a Radeon X800XT AIW would be at the top end of your price range (~$375 I think), and offer performance greater than a 6600gt or 6800 vanilla. It's on par with a 6800gt/6800ultra. Plus it has the TV/VIVO you want.

But I might be a little biased :D
 
Back
Top