need suggestions for PC RPG

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
After many hours of thinking, I've come to the conclusion that I have 2 basic requirements involving PC RPG games. 1: you have to be able to level up, and 2: you have to have an inventory. I've already gone through all the standard ones, things like Septerra Core, Diablo, Diablo 2...I even went back to some console games like the original Final Fantasy games to get my fix, but for some reason I like the PC architecture more.

The Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, and Baulder's Gate series were nice, but I've gone through all of those as well.

Suggestions welcome, I'm bored off my ass over here.

Knights of the Old Republic and Morrowind are both great RPGs. I'd play KOTOR first just because Morrowind is so massive and has so many places to explore and people to kill.

I just finished playing through all the NWN official campaign modules and plan to play both of those again once I finish Doom 3.

Try Arrcanum, VERY good rpg if you liked the baldurs gate series.

I've got Arcanum still wrapped up and waiting to be opened. I bought it with Divine Divinity, which I decided to play first for no particular reason. Divine Divinity plays very similar to Diablo, but has MUCH more plot and a very open-ended skill system, which is great. It's well-worth getting and should be cheap to pick up now.

The poster hasn't mentioned Planescape: Torment - I guess you may have played it. If not, it's the best of the lot, in my opinion.

Morrowind is a good one, and has alot of expansions...
The original Deus Ex was a Shooter RPG... you had skills and gained experience for completing Missions and Sub-missions....and you had an inventory. Pretty cool game, but the sequel sucked.

Definitely give Planescape: Torment a try if you haven't already. Baldur's Gate beats it in fighting & music but it totally eclipses BG in story and character development.

I'm gonna agree with kurt, Gothic 1 and 2. I just finished G2 myself (haven't played the first yet) and I had a blast with it. Very open ended, strategy to fighting, many side quests... The controls get a lot of heat, but I seriously didn't have a problem with them. I even played through G2 with the Gothic 1 controls.

Much recommened.

Excellent suggestions. I already have Deus Ex, KOTOR, and Gothic 2, but I'll have to look for Diving Divinity and Planescape: Torment.

thanks guys.

ahh yes, Arcanum, forgot about that... played through that already, but its been a while and I forgot that I had it.... might just go through it again.

another vote for Morrowind, install the visual packs and it looks excellent.

Devilpup said:
another vote for Morrowind, install the visual packs and it looks excellent.

what visual packs? i don't see anything on the official site. I see them talking about the Tribunal expansion (which I don't have) and I also see plugins. linkage if you please.

mhenley said:
what visual packs? i don't see anything on the official site. I see them talking about the Tribunal expansion (which I don't have) and I also see plugins. linkage if you please.

what cigolon said plus:

http://khalazza.production.free.fr/

i run all 3 and the game looks beautiful (2.11, 2.2 (nature), and XT) plus i run some tree replacers and other things. the world itself is beautiful but slows my machine down sometimes (a64 3400+ & 6800GT). still sometimes i like to just chill in the woods and look around or hang out on the coast during a thunderstorm

Another vote for Morrowind. I'm playing it again for the second time and I'm totally addicted all over again. This has to be the biggest, most open ended RPG ever... ;)

mhenley said:

For a semi recent list o' plugins, including the visual packs

List O' Mods

E V E R Q U E S T.

The TCO is pretty high (seeing as there are 8 expansions, with another coming up [i think you can get a pack that has like 5 of the expansions included]), but it's tons of addictive life destroying fun.

It will play on crap hardware, runs on any decent broadband connection, and it a lot more fun if you can get some friends to start off with you.

Be prepared to put too many hours into it. Prolly best to quit your job and break up with your girlfriend before installing it. :)

Another vote for Gothic I and II.

The control system is excellent once you get the hang of it. Any other game feels clumsy once you get used to the fact that you play the game like you're part of it rather than sitting outside with a cursor. Yes, that's right, no cursor and that's what upsets people. I think it's brilliant.

Story is fine, the second is most definitely a continuation of the first and makes a lot more sense if you play the first first. Character development is a lot of fun, you don't choose your 'class' until you're well into the game.

My biggest complaint is that with lots of care, patience and thought I finished both games with overpowerful characters. However, the point of the game is the story and quests along the way rather than the very end, so it's all cool.

In short, play Gothic I and II :cool:

oh gosh, Sacred was aresome. I loved playing as the Gladiator, with his "fist of the gods" attack...man, I was stomping some major ass in that game.

I'm not into the pay-to-play games, or else I would go with Everquest, Final Fantasy XI, or maybe even the upcoming World Of Warcraft.

thanks for the linkage to the Morrowind stuff

edit: darn it. Why does it DO that... An why can't I delete my own posts anymore...

wtburnette said:
Another vote for Morrowind. ... This has to be the biggest, most open ended RPG ever... ;)
Try the predecessor. I was quite dissapointed in Morrowind and have never felt any need to play it again (though this is in large part due to the fact that it has one of the crappiest engines I've ever see with the outside world just never feeling real no matter how many graphic updates you do due to the stupid way they designed the maps.) Ironically, Daggerfall didn't have such beautiful graphics, still had a vague story, and everything, yet, somehow there's just more substance to it and I find myself playing it for hours on end whereas morrowin 5 minutes at the most when I try it again. Still, it was kind of fun for a while the first time. I did play it a good while when I first got it, but, when I got tired of it, I never felt the need to play it again.

Anyway, you mentioned Neverwinter Nights. Have you tried playing it online? There's a ton of mods for it (many of which are better than the official campaigns in many ways sadly enough,) but, it's 50 times more fun in multiplayer when you actually interact with people. If you do decide to try that, I personally recommend Narc's Seven Dragons (IMO, his new module that he is so obsessed with isn't nearly as good, but don't you DARE tell him I said that or I'll learn how to hack and royally screw up someone's PC just for you. He's a very picky person and bans people if they look at him funny sometimes.) BTW, there are two new games coming out, one an official sequal set for some really unreasonable date like 2006 or so, and another called Dragon Age which will be very similar, but with far better graphics, a better story and so on which might be out relatively soon (I was under the impression they were very close from what little I could find out about it, which isn't much for some reason.) From what I've seen so far, this game is going to be simply awesome (and I don't use that word frequently.)

Anyway, more votes from the Gothic series. That game sort of plays like Morrowind with a GOOD engine, still surprisingly good graphics for something so old (relatively) not to mention a much better story than Morrowind ever could hope to have (it's so vague and spread out in Morrowind that you miss it if you blink. Just your standard kill the big foozle type anyway.)

Oh, about Arcanum, I have to admit, I normally hate that type (kind of like Fallout where they throw technology in there) but, I couldn't help but admit that Arcanum was just plain neat. The way they show a sort of world where magic and technology have existed for so long and are kind of clashing in a world not so dissimilar from ours during what I guess would basically be the industrial age was kind of interesting. My biggest problem with the Fallout/Planescape type is that I hate the whole post-apocalyptic thing and hate even more traveling in deserts or having to interact consistantly with the very dredges of society to ever hope to suceed in the game.

Well, I was going to try to think up something else to suggest you try, but, I can't really come up with anything off the top of my head. REAL RPGs are getting so rare for PC lately. Everyone is migrating to console or using some hybrid that's really more action than RPG... One thing though. How far back are you willing to go? If you can play older games, might I strongly recommend paying a visit to www.the-underdogs.org ? They talk about some of the less known games (like Gothic, though it's still pretty well known for something in this list) and when it's abandonware that isn't protected by the ISDA or an overprotective company, they have a download. You can sort by ratings, which might be rather useful in this case. I should warn you though, they go pretty far back. Underdogs herself seems to like some REALLY old games from the 80s even. Some of us are just too spoiled by all the graphics and sound and everything to go that far back (personally, I can't go further back than '93 or roughly SNES equivalent graphics with at least general midi support -- no adlib crap.) Don't worry, there's still a lot from more recent times. Just the biggest problem is that nearly everything that came on a CD only has a RIP version from some idiot warez group that never understood how to make MP3s of audio tracks or compress a plain avi/mpg video file better. It sounds like a minor thing, but MAN it's annoying going through games with at least half of the atmosphere missing... It's like walking outside and the sky being gone. Sure, you can live without it for a while, but it sure would be unpleasant, cold, and dark...

I was going to say NWN online is the next best thing :) I played kingdom of Thaates over and over and over. Such a great online module, to bad be discountined the original:( However, my co-workers and I are working on devloping our own module, i'd say its about 40% complete.

KOTOR is a great one too! Played that non-stop. Just picked up Planescape, can't wait to play it.

Just FYI, Gothic=Morrowind, but MW has a +1100th of the landmass.

Gothic is a BLAST, but the land size is still a dissapointment after hearing many peeps recommend it, MW is Still king of the MMOG style single player game (sorry if that's confusing, but G2 IMHO had a lame world).

System Shock 2 is kind of like Deus Ex. It's a first person Action/Adventure RPG. You level up by using cyber modules, and can play a few different types of characters. It comes complete with an inventory, too. One of my all time favorites...Great for LAN Coop. Crappy for internet coop, though.

My votes would be for Morrowind and Sacred. I just finished Morrowind and now that I have my 6800 Ultra I think I'll load it up again. The fact that there are so many cool mods out there to use in that game makes the replay value huge.

I'm just starting on Sacred and I'm really am enjoying myself. The story is pretty engaging and the enemies are not push overs...Morrowind can get that way when your level 78 ;) ...although I am just starting out.

I'm really interested in Gothic 2 and I think I will probably pick it up the next time I find myself in a game store.

Back