• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Suggestion

maverick786us

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
2,416
I am planning to upgrade my old Pentium Rig for gaming. My first priority is OCing and high level multi-taking, thats why I need 4 Cores.

Things which I disliked about 920 is, it gets heated up, even more hot than QX9xxx. Is Hyper Threading really necessary?

I've read that Core i5-750 and Core i7-860 uses less TDP (95W compared to 130W of 920), so these CPUs should generate less. Just like cool and calm C2Ds

(Thats funny, both processors have same code name "Lynfield")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

So which one out of these 2 CPUs is better for gaming, Multi-Tasking and heat? Both uses P55 chipset LGA1136
 
They have the same codename because they're the same class of processors, just the 5xx series has HT disabled, there's not much else different between the "new" i5 and the i7 but that.

If you're serious about getting the best bang for the buck, the 860 is quite obviously the best deal you're going to find. About 45% more expensive than the 750 with better performance of course, but half the cost and nearly the same performance as the 870 (we're talking about 133 MHz difference, which is two steps below trivial). The HT support in the 860 will give it a decent boost in performance over the 750, as well as it being faster anyway (just 133 MHz again, but the HT adds onto that).

Build an i7 860 based machine and you'll be happy for years to come.

/thread
 
I am planning to upgrade my old Pentium Rig for gaming. My first priority is OCing and high level multi-taking, thats why I need 4 Cores.

Things which I disliked about 920 is, it gets heated up, even more hot than QX9xxx. Is Hyper Threading really necessary?

I've read that Core i5-750 and Core i7-860 uses less TDP (95W compared to 130W of 920), so these CPUs should generate less. Just like cool and calm C2Ds

(Thats funny, both processors have same code name "Lynfield")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

So which one out of these 2 CPUs is better for gaming, Multi-Tasking and heat? Both uses P55 chipset LGA1136

What kind of apps are you running.........If you truly need 4 cores, surely you must be running something that can also take advantage of HT. On the same note, I would guess that these apps would also consume a fair amount of memory.
 
The whole world is moving towards quad cores.

If you look at my current signature. My current rig is working absolutely fine. However my old pentium rig (other mentioned in my signature) has started fading slowy. I have decided up upgrade that one. I've read numerous threads in this messageboard, which people experiencing numerous perfomance difference between wolfdale and QX9XXX series. Not in terms of gaming but multi-tasking as well, thats why decided to go for quad cores.

Does 860 also gets heated up just like QX9XXX and Core i7 920? or is it cool and calm just like wolfdale because of lower TDP??
 
LGA1156 CPUs seem to overclock about the same as LGA1366 chips. ~3.8-4GHz seems to be the typical maximum overclock.
 
It'll be more tested as time goes by, of course, but the biggest "issue" people may encounter with the 1156 CPUs is that PCIe controller on-die now. Could cause problems but, again, we'll find out more as the platform develops and more hardware comes out and gets pushed...
 
I doubt that having the PCI-E controller on-die will make much of a difference compared to having it integrated into a northbridge. I'm sure it's still clocked independently from the rest of the CPU.
 
If we talk about Ocing, should'nt 860 Over Clock more compared to 920? Because default clock speed of 860 is 2.80 Ghz compared to 2.66 Ghz of 920.
 
If we talk about Ocing, should'nt 860 Over Clock more compared to 920? Because default clock speed of 860 is 2.80 Ghz compared to 2.66 Ghz of 920.
Default clock speed is meaningless as far as overclocking goes. The 860 is no better of an overclocker than the 920.
 
Back
Top