Need storage/backup solution for work.. Upgrade to Synology 1515+....?

seaneboy

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a storage and backup solution for my small office, we have (6) desktops on location, and (1) offsite laptop. I have had a good run with Synology on our first unit (213j I think, still kicking), and I figured the 1515+ is a worthy solution. I can build, so I know it's a bit underpowered for the spec, but I figure I'm paying for the support, and updates, and I'm fine with that.

I am looking to use it for company wide backups, file sharing... Would the WD Reds work? Or should I be looking to go for WD Se?

Thanks for your input.

Have a look at Asustor, their stuff usually give you a better bang for the buck. Thecus and Buffalo might also be worth a look.
As far as HDDs go, I'd go for Toshiba DT01ACA HDDs or their larger ones.

Funny you say that! I was just eyeing one of their units.. unfortunately, I think I'm going to just hit the easy button on this one. If we get another 7 years without failure, this thing will pay for itself a millionfold anyway.... haha.

Wait for DSM 6 and go with btrfs. Snapshotting cannot be ignored in the current state of the IT world with Crypto viruses hitting all the time. Restoring from a snapshot is way easier than from a backup.

Back