Need SSD/HDD Imaging Recommendations

dugn

Limp Gawd
I need an imaging solution that can help me restore my boot drive and data drives with more flexibility than WHS and Windows 7 System Image Restore.

In the last few weeks, my C: boot/swap drive (2x 128 SSD RAID0) crumbled one SSD at a time while my trusty D: data drive (2x 1TB Seagate HDD) continued to hum along without fail. But the crumbling SSDs left me with the need to

• Initially, restore the original C: boot drive image of a RAID0 (2x 128 SSD) array to a single drive (1x 128GB AHCI SSD) configuration
  • A week, later, the remaining SSD failed, so I needed to restore the current C: boot drive (1x 128GB AHCI SSD) to a single HDD (1x 1TB Seagate)
  • Then, if I can trust an SSD again once I get these back from RMA (Corsair X128's - both of them), I need to restore the current C: HDD to a single 1x 128 SSD - and later back to the original RAID (2x 128 SSD) configuration depending on when these two RMA'd drives are returned.

During all of this, I came to discover the shortcomings of both Windows 7 System Restore and WHS on Windows 7.

For Win7 Image Restore, I couldn't exclude my D: drive from the image restore, even though nothing about it needed to change. And once I let Win7 Restore restore it, multiple files were corrupt. Fortunately, I removed my original D: drives before the restore and just hot-swapped them back in. Problem solved - but no thanks to Image Restore.

As for WHS on Windows 7, although it allowed me to selectively restore volumes (exactly what I needed), it didn't allow me to restore a volume to a smaller target volume. Which is a serious problem when I'm restoring to either a larger drive with the later intent to restore to a smaller drive - which is exactly what I need to do in both bullets 2 and 3 above. I also didn't get a bootable C: drive once WHS restored Windows 7 - even after a system repair. Using DiskPart or Disk Manager to initialize a volume smaller than needed (as I did when I down-sized a spare 1TB drive to match the size of the 119GB of usable space for a restore), is a PITA and prone to an easy mistake that would thrwart a WHS restore that needs the volume to be the same size or larger.

At this point, I need the ability to restore only volumes I select, and to do it to larger or smaller target volumes - all while having confidence in data integrity.

Free or for pay, it doesn't matter. I just want a good product I can trust.

Recommendations?

PS: Forgive the duplicate post. I only got one recommendation and without a lot of details. I'm re-posting this here hoping to get better recommendations and reasons why...

You should try talking to the guy who posted this here Sounds like his recommendations would set you straight.

I don't know of an imaging product that will allow you to restore a drive or partition to a smaller target drive or partition. I can tell you that Ghost 12.0 will not, so that you may rule that one out.

When I want to restore a larger drive to a smaller one, I do this:
1)Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management
2)Right click source partition and select Shrink Volume. Shrink down to the smallest possible.
3)Image Source Partition.
4)Restore small source image to equal or larger target partition or drive.

PITA, but works with Ghost 12.0

Jason

Acronis software will allow you to make an image of the drives and software to burn a cd Rescue boot disk that will restore the drive even with no data or sys files on it. Acronis 2010 supports Windows7. I had a 120 gb drive and replaced it with a 60 gb drive and the software duplicated my new drive just using the restore disk and my recovery usb drive.
hope this helps.
P.S.: if you need a program to wipe unused sectors with zeros killDisk is available and also has a free download that realy works

Back