Need something that will keep track of ALL changes to registry during installation

Hey there...I have a 200GB hard drive...when my PC starts to freak out on me then I do a full Windows reinstallation...the problem with that is that ALL software must be reinstalled...the ONLY reason is that the registry and software work together and the registry gets wiped out when you reformat the HDD...

I have 3 partitions right now...here's what my HDD looks like:

C: Windows ONLY - 9.76 GB total capacity
D: Installed Software - 132 GB total capacity
E: Misc. (pics, music, temp. files [instal. files, patches, nfo's, etc], music vids, sounds, backups, stuff that doesn't involve the C drive and D drive, pr0n, etc...) - 43.7 total capacity

Currently I have 155 folders in my D drive...there no way in hell I am going to reinstall over 150 pieces of software and update/patch them all and backup saves and stuff EVERY time I had to reformat the C partition...that would be HUGE bitch to do...

So I need something that keeps track of changes to the registry during the installation process and the updating/patching process...this way I can just reformat the C partition and reinstall the backup registry files for all the D partition software...

There's GOTTA be a way to do this...my sound is screwing up rarely (but it's getting worse...as in happening more and more becoming a less and less rare occurance), C partition is filling up with usless stuff, registry is getting full, etc...I need to reformat my C partition...

There should be two registries...OS registry and Software registry...that would be MUCH easier...just backup the software registry and reformat the rest of the C partition...stoopid Microsoft!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: ...They can make me so :mad: sometimes!!!

If I can keep track of the changes to the registry during installation and updates/patching then I would be kinda doing what I said above...I'd just have to reformat the C partition and when I reinstalled Windows I would just have to reinstall the backup registry with ALL the stuff that got installed during installation and updating/patching...piece of cake...

Any suggestions would be helpful...THANX
C'YA :cool:

Why don't you just get your windows partition set up just the way you want it and then create an image of it and store it one on of the other partitions? That way you wouldn't even have to reinstall windows. Just format and write the image. If you want to back up the registry then just copy over the system.dat and user.dat files(those are the two registry files). I have a feeling there would be more involved then just backing up the registry. For one thing you would need all your start menu stuff. Some programs might install .dlls to the windows directory. There's no telling what is going on there. The registry is only a part of it(even though microsoft wanted the registry to basically take care of everything).

Originally posted by jpmkm
Why don't you just get your windows partition set up just the way you want it and then create an image of it and store it one on of the other partitions? That way you wouldn't even have to reinstall windows. Just format and write the image.
HUH??? That would take up less time than reinstalling...but I care more about disk space than the time involved to reinstall the long way...I'm already using up 134.84GB of my 200GB HDD...so disk space is important...

If you want to back up the registry then just copy over the system.dat and user.dat files(those are the two registry files).
I'd still have the normal usless junk that the registry builds up as time goes on tho...I'd also have files that belonged to the C partition...stuff like windows updates and stuff that updates windows which installs in the windows partition and also uses the registry...those registry files would be for a different version of the software than the default Windows XP registry has...get it???

For one thing you would need all your start menu stuff. Some programs might install .dlls to the windows directory. There's no telling what is going on there.
I actually don't use the start menu...and if I did, it wouldn't be hard to back up anyways...just a bunch of folders and shortcuts...you're right about the dll's tho...but of the few progs that also install files to the C partition, they would give me an error and that would just be one prog out of 115 to reinstall...

Originally posted by Metallica_Band
There should be two registries...OS registry and Software registry...that would be MUCH easier...just backup the software registry and reformat the rest of the C partition...stoopid Microsoft!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: ...They can make me so :mad: sometimes!!!
Originally posted by Metallica_Band
I'd still have the normal usless junk that the registry builds up as time goes on tho...I'd also have files that belonged to the C partition...stuff like windows updates and stuff that updates windows which installs in the windows partition and also uses the registry...those registry files would be for a different version of the software than the default Windows XP registry has...get it???
So it's a brilliant idea when you suggest it but it is stupid when I tell you how to do it? :rolleyes: In case you haven't caught on, system.dat is for the operating system and hardware stuff that windows sets up and user.dat is for all the software and stuff that you(the user) install and configure. At least in theory. If that is still not good enough for you, then this program that I found after a couple seconds of searching might be useful to you.

regmon is not what you need for this.

You need a tool like easyclean. You can google for it. It keeps track of every single key and file changed or modified between 2 points in time.

also helps for when you want to uninstall and reinstall all those trial period softwares.. if your not smart enough to get a key.

oops, i didnt just say that. everything on *this* installation is clean, i swear! :)

Originally posted by Walleye
also helps for when you want to uninstall and reinstall all those trial period softwares.. if your not smart enough to get a key.

**Flashlight turns on in head**
Damn you!!! You're just TRYING to make me break more laws aren't you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

LOL

Back