Need some WC advice

Siriso

Limp Gawd
Planning my first WC build and ran into a problem finding some info.

All of my compression fittings are ID13 x OD16 (1/2ID x 5/8OD)
Is using 3/4OD tubing a mistake? I don't have any to experiment on so I'm guessing that I could "maybe" squeeze it through the outer nut but I'm just not sure if it's going to cut into the tube and cause a dangerous weak point or not.
I also have no idea what type/brand of tubing I should be looking at. Koolance's tubing is my failsafe if I can't find the info I need since all the fittings I have are koolance and they have the proper measurements, but they don't have the color I want for 1/2x5/8.

Thanks.

that tubing will not fit those fittings. Check out sidewinder to find what you need.

I think this is the site you recommended:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ty1id5odlatu.html

That's the only product I found that meets the measurement requirements of my fittings. Clear is the only option there.
Seems like a lot of the stuff I find is tygon or PVC, what is the difference?
The comparable Koolance product that I have as my backup plan if I can't find an appropriate red tubing is: http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=769
Black is closer to the look I want than clear but I'd still like to find some red stuff.

personally I don't see any difference between tygon or PVC. technically tygon is industrial quality tubing which means better quality but in the end the mark up isn't really worth it. just by any tubing that fits your compression fitting specs and you'll be fine.

why would you want to run 1/2id 5/8od? it's too thin walled

you should be able to run 7/16id 5/8od with those compression fittings, it will not be as thin walled and should bend a lot better

personally I don't see any difference between tygon or PVC. technically tygon is industrial quality tubing which means better quality but in the end the mark up isn't really worth it. just by any tubing that fits your compression fitting specs and you'll be fine.

I am guessing you have never ran high quality tubing

If it turns out that you can use 7/16" x 5/8", then I'd suggest that as well for the superior bend-radius. I'd want to confirm that the tubing can be stretched for your application - I've never run mismatched tubing with compression fittings, so I wouldn't know.

I'd check out the Primoflex LRT tubing because they have the color you desire, and the bend radius seems to be as good as or better than the Tygon variants (and it's cheaper). I don't think they have the original size you wanted, however.

SVC, koolertek, performance-pcs, frozenCPU... etc... should all carry it.

I'm told that Duralene (also at Sidewinder) is similar to Tygon at a lower price, but I wouldn't use the regular PVC tubing you find elsewhere.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157370 - Here is a comprehensive tubing review thread.

why would you want to run 1/2id 5/8od? it's too thin walled

you should be able to run 7/16id 5/8od with those compression fittings, it will not be as thin walled and should bend a lot better

Is 1/16 thicker wall really going to make that much of a difference? The thicker wall is mainly for preventing kinks or is there some other purpose I'm missing? I suppose I could order a short length to try it. The reason I was shopping for 1/2id 5/8od is because that's what the fittings I have are.

Another possibly noobish question. I was looking for a fan controller and a vast majority of them are underpowered for my pump (Koolance pmp-450s). Should I just not bother running it through a fan controller with my fans. I've never so much as powered this thing on so I have no idea what kind of noise I'm going to be looking at but I'd like to keep it minimal.

Another possibly noobish question. I was looking for a fan controller and a vast majority of them are underpowered for my pump (Koolance pmp-450s). Should I just not bother running it through a fan controller with my fans. I've never so much as powered this thing on so I have no idea what kind of noise I'm going to be looking at but I'd like to keep it minimal.

Just connect the pump to a molex connector from your PSU. It will make your life a lot easier when you're priming the pump.

Is 1/16 thicker wall really going to make that much of a difference? The thicker wall is mainly for preventing kinks or is there some other purpose I'm missing? I suppose I could order a short length to try it. The reason I was shopping for 1/2id 5/8od is because that's what the fittings I have are.

Having worked with the most common tuning sizes, and I will say yes, that 1/16th of an inch makes a big difference when it comes to bend radius and kink resistance. There are however solutions to the issues, such as using "anti-kink" coils. They aren't perfect, but they do restore some of the lost bend radius.

1/2x3/4" is too big and bulky
1/2x5/8" doesn't bend well
7/16x5/8" is pretty much the perfect balance. Not terribly bulky, yet offers a nice bend radius.

In my setup, I use 7/16x5/8" Pro LRT and its been great. In older setups I have also used 3/8x5/8" Tygon 3606 (best bend radious ever!), 1/2x3/4 ClearFlex 60, and 1/2x5/8" Masterkleer (terrible bend radius). The Tygon was the easiest tube to work with, but it was prone to staining and buildup. The Pro LRT is red, but when I take a peek I don't notice any buildup. Its a bit stiffer then tygon though, but overall is very nice tubing. I also use compression fittings and I love them to death. So much better then worm-drive clamps, and INFINITELY better then plastic clip style clams.

Anyways, I'm rambling.

Since you already invested in the compression fittings, use the 1/2x5/8 tubing with anti-kink coils. Should be workable in the system with those.

Back