Need some RAID 0 help

ituggle

Gawd
My computer just died. I am pretty sure it is the motherboard. It is an ABIT IT7. I have had various problems over the past couple years (one ram slot died, built in ethernet died, problems with usb controller, usb2 stopped working).

I have 2 80GB drives in RAID 0. Of course I never backed them up.

A friend and I built out new boxes at the same time and have the exact same motherboard. He has never had any problems with his at all. He also never used RAID, just one drive.

My question is this: If I want to save my data and dump it to an external HD, can I just unplug his drive, enable raid in the bios and hook my two drives up? (I know which drive is hooked to which ide input). Will it try to format my drives since his system never used RAID before, or will it recognize them and treat them as his C: drive and leave the data as is?

Help

p.s. I promise to back-up after this stupid fiasco.

It wouldn't matter that its the exact same motherboard but it perfectly fine that it is. Enable RAID in the BIOS and do not format (obviously) or initialize the RAID array...This problem has been posted many times on these forums and all have usually come out just fine. ;)

Why not just buy another motherboard and another HDD and go RAID 5 or RAID 3...

Make sure you select not to initialize it if it gives you the option!

Back